Unusual request for leather makers 'Fuel Tank Cover'

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just a bit of a warning here. is the bike stored or ever out in the rain? I know you Harley riders are mostly fair weather bikers :pokenest: :lmao:

So you have to consider what getting that tank cover wet might involve. My mate bought one of those tank bag covers for his GPz a few years ago. He used the bag to take his stuff into work and left the cover on the tank 24/7 rain or shine. Thing is the water got under the cover and sat there quietly rusting the tank out from the outside in.

He ended up having to get a replacement tank. I saw the tank before he ditched it and the rust had eaten through the paintwork in a number of places. Even the slightest defect in the laquer finish will let the water in.

So just a word of warning about wrapping it up in a cover. It'd look the business, there's no doubt but the long term implications could be bad.

However if your bike in under heated blankets in the centrally heated garage and only sees the light of day about twice a year when you polish it to take it for it's MOT and only when there's not a cloud in the sky, then go ahead. :pokenest:

:lmao:

I'm kidding wid yuz.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Thanks for all the replys, I didn't realise there was so many.
I had a go today with the leather jacket. Unfortunately the jacket was just a bit too small but I now know the rough size of leather I will need.

TBH I didnt think it would be much good because of the way the jacket has been stitched together. Also the leather was very thin and stitching was not very strong in places. bit of experience, plus I can use the leather in some other places so it's not a total wipe out.

I will now go about making a proper template as suggested and look into some eyelets to secure the cover underneath. Gussets will be added. felts a good idea too.

As for the bike, it gets used in all weathers although I do try to avoid using it in pouring rain. Once the roads have dried out a bit ill be using it a lot. I will keep an eye on the tank and when it does get washed I will remove the cover. Bike is stored in a non heated shed.

Can someone suggest which type and thickness of Black leather would be best to use? I'm not too worried about the finish, a few rub marks will hopefully make it look a bit aged, i'll probably buy from Le prevo.

The reason for the cover is too avoid having to paint all the tins to match and when I do get round to selling the bike I will put it back to standard, plus it's a bit of fun to do this and is different. The bike is going to be satin black mainly. can't afford a nice paint job, so this is my trial and error alternative.

Thanks ALL

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE