Uni – The highs, the lows and the mess

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Right since I’ve got a while with nothing that I really want to do I just thought I’d right a little bit about my new life. I’m now in Nottingham studying Computer science at the Nottingham Trent University. I’m in the town center so have a five minute walk to get to the lectures and other bits and pieces including the library, which is handy when you wake up late.
Freshers week –part one
I Arrived on the Saturday and got to know the people I am now living with (apart from one) over the weekend with my introduction stuff starting on the Tuesday. An eventful week in meeting new people and getting rather drunk and spending lots of money but nothing else really
Freshers week –part two
We are now having lectures though these are just introducing the modules for study to us poor and in most cases hung over freshers. I get the flu not very fun when your away from home and don’t really know people but at least it saves money as I wasn’t drinking or going out.
The Course proper
Just spent more money on books then I ever done before, I bought only the ones we really need and it still came to £90 with the possibility of needing more. On the bright side I have something makes me look like I know what I’m doing.
To cheer me up a little bit I phoned home to be told that goods that were sent special delivery 5 and half weeks ago have decided that they no longer want to play hide and seek. I replacent for these goods arrived 4 weeks ago and since this lost post has been claimed for I think I may just keep it (read lost in return post)
Just whiles things were calming down we had a first little hitch Sam decided to use a knife to separate frozen food with the added bonus of painting our kitchen small though it may be in a delightful pinky red colour. People calmed down a bit when they found out that I did in fact have a first aid kit and could sort him out. Sam is now enjoying the attention from the ladies due to the wound and I have made a name for myself. To dull the pain from this Sam decided that he would take a little “medicine”. Between him and two others two bottles of this “medicine” were consumed with the affect of much merriment until Sam and one of the others went on a decorating crusade again. I never knew student food included so many carrots.
I miss the bike, the great outdoors and feeling that I had back home which allowed me to go into the bathroom without getting scared about what might greet me when I got there. Though I look forward to meeting Danzo

Sam by the way is studying law, you may make your own conclusions about this fact

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I spent loads on books and didn't even use some of them. Then again that is not a reason to buy less books more a reason to do more work and less drinking, damn realise that now it's too late :wink:

Good luck though Andy.

Bill

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
And this has what to do with bushcraft? :?:

Sorry just wondered :yikes:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Gary said:

Sorry just wondered :yikes:

it was meant to be a moan that I don't get chance to do any at all at the moment but it got expanded for a wider market. I did put it in the blog section. the post that went missing was a knife BTW

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think I'll like Sam - I'm studying law aswell :nana: :rolmao: :biggthump

Good to read about your first steps at Uni - reminds me of my own (5 years ago) ... especially the introduction lessons (with hang over), and the outrageous amount of money spending on books :yikes:

The hardest thing I had to get used to was the enormous amount of rubbish / mess in my studentflat. Living here (down town Rotterdam) with 4 other guys from Uni (and the same student club ... the english word slipped my mind :?: ), so you can imagine how it looked (actually: looks) like :yikes: :eek:):
Though you'll get used to it really fast :wink:

It's great fun being away from parental supervision (ok, they live 10 km east from me) - you can do as you please :naughty:

Have a great time at Uni and don't forget us :wink:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Lithril said:
Cost of books, yup that sounds family, spent nearly £600 on books over the 3 years I was at Uni.
And I've made that much selling about half the books from my MBA secondhand on amazon!

Kim

Nomad
Sep 6, 2004
Birmingham
Gary said:

University is a indeed a form of bushcraft.

Studying the local wildlife :wink: , ascertaining how long you can live off beer, jacket potatoes and one tin of tuna and just how many exciting new recipes you can make out of mismatched contents of your cupboard. Learning to live with the developing fauna that will undoubtedly start growing in the fridge and practicing first aid on your inebriated housemate who was convinced he'd turned into a world champion high jumper when he tried to jump that fence...

Self reliance is the key.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
There has been an update

I was hoping to keep the cost of food down by having nettle soup. Though I have found out I don't have a supply. Mushrooms may be abundent later on

Uni log 06,10,04

I have just got done a few simple programs in C++. The programs were converting things and adding. I went back to the flat and found I had a bank statement. There was an ATM withdrawal which I didn’t make. Had a trip to the bank, I have now been told to go to the police who told me the bank have to tell them (once again the same thing happened last year). Not only that, but the lady at the bank said it was only through the banks courtesy that I was given a refund on the last fraud on a account with them (different account). I thought it was due to incompetence that meant interest wasn’t refunded as well. I am now not happy.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Sorry to hear about the bank stuff Andy, hope you get it sorted.

Careful of those mushrooms as well if they are the normal student 'magic' kind then you might have to see the police again :wink:

Bill

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
tenbears10 said:
Sorry to hear about the bank stuff Andy, hope you get it sorted.

Careful of those mushrooms as well if they are the normal student 'magic' kind then you might have to see the police again :wink:

Bill

I wouldn't know anything about the mushrooms Sir. it's as if they appeared by magic

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
first off al the bank stuff is sorted.

now for a little song

woke up this morning
don't believe what I saw
never mind the traffic cones
what was stood in my kitchen
was so much more

we plan to move the road works fence sections to the end of the road along with the others that have turned up over the last week

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Andy, When I was living in halls at Brunel Uni we did a similar thing... we elected not to return the items to "the wild" but to attach them to the kitchen ceiling. It was a great "feature" :wink:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, the road cones we emptied the sand out of them and screwed them into the rafters... The metal poles with the flashing lights and orange fenc sheet stuff we got some brackets from B&Q and screwed them in. We dismantled the digging guy sign and the works entrance signs and used epoxy for those as they have a lot of surface area.

Somehow, when we moved out we managed to remove all traces that anything was ever there. there were a few die cast cars left though, we thought we'd leave something for the next generation :eek:):

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I don't think we should do that. We get cleaners round once a week and they report things been done that shouldn't have taken place. I think I may make a complaint about the fire exstingisher retension system, it got knocked off and the person who did it had to pay £35.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE