Underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Can anyone recommend a ridiculously cheap underquilt that'll work as well or better than a sleeping bag in my hammock?:hammock:

I noticed how cold it was when I slept in my sleeping bag in my hammock in Dorset :vio:, and I now have a craving to buy an underquilt!

I've only got £30 though, and I'd like to buy a couple of ferro rods too (Although that's not essential)!

Any recommendations for that price or ones that would be worth saving up for?
Bearing in mind that it's spring now?

Thanks,
Fred

:buttkick: :nana: - Just had to do that! ;)

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
make one from a US poncho liner or an old sleeping bag, will be able to do it for less than £30 quid easy. Its what im doing at the moment, you need to be able to sew though with a machine, but the poncho one you could do by hand easy

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Thanks for the tips - I'm gonna have to go for making one...

The second night I slept in my hammock, I put my mummy sleeping bag round the hammock. It was toasty for most of the night but it only came just above my shoulders and I constantly had to adjust it.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
make one from a US poncho liner or an old sleeping bag, will be able to do it for less than £30 quid easy. Its what im doing at the moment, you need to be able to sew though with a machine, but the poncho one you could do by hand easy

Absolutely agree! I made one from an old cheap sleeping bag, and it worked fine.

But I find that a cheap sleeping pad slipped in between the 2 layers of material (obviously, it only works with such a hammock) is just as warm as an underquilt and a lot lighter and easier to carry.

Aug 12, 2009
Kent, England
Do you really find it as warm as an underquilt?
In Devon, I had a thermarest under me, but the problem was that it was too narrow for my shoulders.
Same problem with my foam mat, and as it's actually my Dad's, I'm not cutting it up!
I like the sleeping bag cut up idea...

Fred

PS: Thanks Shewie - that really gave me some ideas...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE