Underground bees?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I was out in the woods last night with my little brother, and as I was digging a shallow fire pit, I noticed a few small bulbs in the soil. They looked a lot like tiny pickled onions, but it was the several bees attached to them that had me running! I've only ever heard of bees making nests in trees and such, never underground.

I'm quite allergic to bees, so I covered them back up and we left pretty speedy!

Can anyone tell me what on Earth was going on?

Thanks!

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Many bumble and wild bees build their nests underground, they sometimes utilise old mouse holes. I have a nest under where I sling my hammock in the Woody Bit of my garden. As they're busy bringing up the kids at the moment I'm giving them their space.

They're fascinating to watch if you keep still and don't disturb their young, and they very, very rarely sting you if you stay quiet and still; they sting as a defence if you upset them. Unfortunately you've dug up and at least patrially destroyed that nest so it's likely they will desert it now and all the larvae (the white balls) will die, probably the queen won't be able to breed again this year as it's nearly autumn now.

If you react badly to bee stings it's really good to carry the appropriate epipen with you always, and tell your friends. Ask your doctor about it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just what Harvestman said - some bumblebees, solitary bees and miner bees nest underground either digging their own tunnels or exploring natural holes and crevices. Contrary to popular myth, bumble bees do sting as well!

(Edit)

Whoops cross posted with Elen!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Contrary to popular myth, bumble bees do sting as well!

...although they are somewhat more reluctant to do so compared to honeybees.

My theory (and this is just a guess) is that the larger size of bumbles means there are fewer workers, and so each worker is that bit more valuable to the hive as a whole. Since stinging is fatal to a bee, bumble bees are more reluctant to sting since the loss of that individual would be a greater loss to the hive.

Which could be absolute rubbish, but it is always nice to have a pet theory. :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...although they are somewhat more reluctant to do so compared to honeybees.

My theory (and this is just a guess) is that the larger size of bumbles means there are fewer workers, and so each worker is that bit more valuable to the hive as a whole. Since stinging is fatal to a bee, bumble bees are more reluctant to sting since the loss of that individual would be a greater loss to the hive.

Which could be absolute rubbish, but it is always nice to have a pet theory. :)

Ahh, I have to explode that theory - because stinging is not fatal to a bumble - they can sting repeatedly without injury rather like a wasp. They are generally passive blighters though.

That said, many strains of honey bee are very passive too - one of our hives are like "stoned" bees - they just hang out and look at you but have never stung yet. They do get agitated if the hive is opened in great heat or cold - but never attack. Some strains of honey bees are downright nasty though - we haven't had one yet, but if we do, we'll re-queen them.

Unfortunately you've dug up and at least patrially destroyed that nest so it's likely they will desert it now and all the larvae (the white balls) will die, probably the queen won't be able to breed again this year as it's nearly autumn now.

Aw, now I feel really guilty. :c

This is interesting though, I had no idea bees did that. Thanks all for the info!

Is there anything to look out for so I don't dig any poor bees up again? There were a few bees flying in the area but I didn't see any holes where they may have been coming from..

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Doubtful you will spot them to be honest. Its nothing much to worry about as most bees will be reducing their numbers soon anyway in preparation to overwinter. They will begin killing all the males (drones) soon!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ahh, I have to explode that theory - because stinging is not fatal to a bumble - they can sting repeatedly without injury rather like a wasp. They are generally passive blighters though. QUOTE]

<I need an explosion smiley>

I really should have known that, shouldn't I? It was vaguely in the back of my head as I typed, but never came to the surface. Well, as Feynmann said, if your hypothesis isn't supported by evidence, then it is just plain wrong.

Hypothesis number two: Bumble bees are just nice.

:)

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Ahh, I have to explode that theory - because stinging is not fatal to a bumble - they can sting repeatedly without injury rather like a wasp. They are generally passive blighters though.

<I need an explosion smiley>

I really should have known that, shouldn't I? It was vaguely in the back of my head as I typed, but never came to the surface. Well, as Feynmann said, if your hypothesis isn't supported by evidence, then it is just plain wrong.

Hypothesis number two: Bumble bees are just nice.

:)

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'll go with that - I've had them crawling all over me and never a sting! They are suckers for teasel - I had five on one flower on my teasel patch all quite happy - they seemed less keen on sharing with hover flies though ?

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
I'm not to sure on the difference between a honey and a bumble, but I do know that one or the other can make a football sized hole in the ground.
They get really upset when you go over it with a brushcutter, then step in the hole, and lie down next to it. Now how would I know that...........?
To be fair, I've never been stung doing that though, and I've hit a quite a few.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Bumble bees are hairier than honeybees, and generally bigger. They are the ones most likely to be making holes in the ground that you can fall in.

Here are two pictures of mine to show the difference.
Bumble bee
8657224417_40aa55fc01_b.jpg

Honeybee (the bee used commercially in hives)
8883129187_91fcd06029_b.jpg

I used to love these little guys, but I was stung when a few people at school started throwing rocks at a nest a few years back. That was when I found out I was allergic, and now those pictures gave me the shivers! :')

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Cheers for the pics. They give me the creeps a bit, too. Bit paranoid about getting then stuck in my hair, for some reason. Oddly, I barely have any reaction to bee or wasp stings.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have seen I think hermit bees dig holes in my dad's back garden, sandy soil with moss and grass over the top. Then some some hive I think took over as the grass had lots and lots of little soil piles and lots of holes. There was not alot of bees as compared to the honey bee nest that nested under the shed, they where coming and going all day long. The hermit bees may actually have been a hive slow to take off. They (hermit/miner)do not actually dig a hive size hole, and I suppose they could have just been a community of hermit bees if thats possible. The bee is different in appearance to honey bees less colourful and more squatt.

You learn something everyday, or several things, bumblers do not die, male drones are killed, disturb a nest and they leave it. Thanks .

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Likely what you had there was miner bees petrochemical. The first hole was a female who would have laid on a number of eggs on pollen clumps up to two foot below ground. Having done so, she leaves and does not continue to use the nest site. As the young females emerged and mated, they may well have made their own holes on the same site. Miners are "solitary" bees (they don't stay and nurse their young and continue to use the site) so the bee numbers are far smaller than honey bees that may occupy a site for years with supercedure (replaced) queens. There can be upwards of 70,000 honey bees in a colony - but miner bee colonies are far smaller due to the temporary nature of the site and the mechanisms of rearing young.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE