Water music.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
A mild overcast day with the threat of rain, which held off until I was literally at the back door of the cottage on my return home. Crossing the track that divides a section of the lake from an area of Reed Beds, the sound of the water overflowing the Sill set the tone for the rest of the walk. The Mallards which are paired off now, keep well clear of the quick run of water caused by recent rain.

Just the other day Moor Hens were doing their vertical feeding trick along the Sill in less of a torrent.

Rain falling on the hills further inland eventually finds it's way into the forested valleys of my area and today the forest streams were noisy with fast running water.

Following the track up through the wooded valley.

After 3 hours or so when Tea withdrawal symptoms began to appear I stopped for a brew. Everything I need here. A felled Ash to sit on, the seed heads of Rosebay Willow Herb for kindling and the upper dead twigs of the poor Die Back infected Ash Tree for fuel.

Ok, I confess. I then used a match to light the Kelly Kettle...:laugh:
Pre toasted Cheese, still warm and tasty.

Last summer at this spot I noticed two or three Bees disappearing into the holes in the soft earth bank by the base of a Beech Tree here. The earth bank faces South and is a warm spot even on cloudy summer days. Today I noticed a fair few holes still show in the earth. I'm assuming they were Miner Bees, but I wasn't quick enough to identify them at the time, so I'll re-visit in a few months.

It's comforting to know that Trees survive and grow on even after major surgery. The main trunk of this big Beech fell to a Forester's Saw many many years ago, the stump is soft and moss grown with age but the new trunk grows strongly.

And with all the loss of Trees through disease and Winter Gales it's nice to see the white plastic Tree Guards around the new plantings showing on the hillside.

A last climb up through the dark Pines and home as the first rain drops fell.

:thumbsup:

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Oh the simple pleasures in life.
A tramp down the lane & through the trees wrapped up warm against the elements.
That glow when you get back & kick the feet up, what more does a man want.

Thanks for sharing your day.

Reactions: saxonaxe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE