Ulu's from sawblades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolksteve

Forager
May 24, 2010
Suffolk
They look nice.

The posting issue is down to a lack of posts and paid membership I believe.

There is a comprehensive how to post pics in the how to section of the forum.

Welcome to the forum BTW, it's a great place!

Jun 21, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the comments. I've a smaller ulu which I'll post later. As for the photos it's easy enough with photobucket- saves server space on here too.

Hello all,

Im in the process of making a couple of ulupiak (spelling?) and thought I would post a couple of photos for anybody who is interested. Thoughts and comments welcome!
Cheers, Tom.

Unfortunately it appears I am not allowed to post attachments. Ermm.....?

af4d4929.jpg

aeec1498.jpg

There you go might be worth making them a little smaller on the picture size say 400 wide

Jun 21, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Thanks FGYT- I took the pics on my phone and squirted them straight onto pb. I shall look into resizing them. Juttle- I've only used the little one so far, pics to follow. You can put a lot of force onto what you're cutting, and with this style (Canadian Inuit ish) you can allow the blade to rest against the back of your fingers and use the hand for something else.

http://i1145.photobucket.com/albums/o507/DeSilva1/0b2de33b.jpg

Last edited:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
modern saw blades are a good source for flat steel. After they loose thier edge they cant be sharpened so they just get thrown out. it's only the teeth that have been hardened.

on average I get through about 1 saw a week and if we get a run of new kitchens it can be 2 a week, work tops and mfc don't do them blades much good

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2012
Pembrokeshire
I made two from a cheap nasty tenon saw(£1 shop) and picked up 4 handsaws for £3 at a car boot last weekend. Other ingredients include 6" nails and a hardwood broom shank. As you say, recycling. I might post a how to if there is any interest. It's not like I could use the saws even if they were sharp- I struggle to cut a stick square...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE