ultralite poncho/tarp advice required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Anyone own an ultralite Poncho/Tarp

looking for something small to hide in my daypack if things turn while i'm out - not realy after anything too bulky

had thought about getting a BCUSA MEST tarp but the postage was too excessive

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have the German army flecktarn poncho, with guy lines attached it comes in at a fraction over 200g. I used it quite a bit to give rain protection for my bivvi bag. Alas, while light weight, it comes at the cost of size. It's only 1m x 2m. Which is kinda tiny as tarps go. You basically have to choose which part of your body is covered. Also, having the hood in the middle means that getting a taught pitch is harder and you can get flapping in the wind.

HtH

J

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I have a sil tarp by Unsponsored, 2.2 x 1.5m @175g with 1.5mm GITD dyneema cordage, packs to the size of a grapefruit

I've also got some cuben fibre bits but let's not go there

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Corso,

The tarp only has 8 tie out points, this impacts slightly on it's versatility. But it is 250g.

The poncho is 680g, which is very heavy, even for a tarp.

Have you looked at the Alpkit Riga 3.5 (270g)? or the RAB SilTarp 1 (200g)?

Just some thoughts for you

Julia

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Corso,

The tarp only has 8 tie out points, this impacts slightly on it's versatility. But it is 250g.

The poncho is 680g, which is very heavy, even for a tarp.

Have you looked at the Alpkit Riga 3.5 (270g)? or the RAB SilTarp 1 (200g)?

Just some thoughts for you

Julia

The RAB SilTarp 1 looks just the ticket

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE