Ultra Light Tarp line?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
What do folks use for their tarps that is strong and lightweight?

I use 550 paracord at the minute, but I'm after something lighter, what do folk recomend?

Cheers

Drew

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I use cord that I got from a blind maker for the guy lines... only about 1.5mm but extremely strong and lightweight. Only problem with it is it only comes in white :lmao:

Ridge line I use cargo paracord... slightly thicker than 550 paracord but I prefer it more

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm on 2.2mm Exped dyneema stuff these days. Either that or 2mm dynaglide aborists throwline

Last edited:

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Thats shocking Rich, im using spiders silk straight from the spider, the line only weighs 0.000001 micrograms, but the spider weighs 3 grams, call yourself an ultralight backpacker.:lmao:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thats shocking Rich, im using spiders silk straight from the spider, the line only weighs 0.000001 micrograms, but the spider weighs 3 grams, call yourself an ultralight backpacker.:lmao:

:lmao:

Any finer and I wouldn't be able to tie the damn stuff, I struggled a couple of times last winter trying to get the tarp up in rain and cold wind.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah your right mate, there comes a point where it just gets silly and you cant untie the damn line and knots, i mean check this stuff out, look at the picture half way down the page of the line and pegs on the tent http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aircore_1_spectra_cord.html

Crazy stuff, okay in fixed loops for a peg but imagine trying to tie that stuff when it's raining sideways and only just above freezing.

(Should I expect a shipping notice from Ron btw ?)

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
No all your things will just pop through the door in an envelope, unless you get picked up at the customs end of things.

I thought you would have got your things by now, he must of been incredibly busy this year with his spring rush of orders, problem is, that if you hassle him to much he will just send your things priority mail and then your guaranteed to get not only a customs charge but also a parcelforce handling fee, best just to be no hurry to get it. I know its a pain but to be fair he does say it will take till your 60 years old till you get your order, i suppose good things come to those that wait.

Next time your ordering anything from MLD you should keep checking out Backpackinglight.com (under community then forum then gear swap/sale) i noticed there is always MLD things up for sale, usually just as dear but you do forgo the waiting time.

Let me know when your gear comes and what you think of it mate.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
No all your things will just pop through the door in an envelope, unless you get picked up at the customs end of things.

I thought you would have got your things by now, he must of been incredibly busy this year with his spring rush of orders, problem is, that if you hassle him to much he will just send your things priority mail and then your guaranteed to get not only a customs charge but also a parcelforce handling fee, best just to be no hurry to get it. I know its a pain but to be fair he does say it will take till your 60 years old till you get your order, i suppose good things come to those that wait.

Next time your ordering anything from MLD you should keep checking out Backpackinglight.com (under community then forum then gear swap/sale) i noticed there is always MLD things up for sale, usually just as dear but you do forgo the waiting time.

Let me know when your gear comes and what you think of it mate.

Right o, I like the suspense

I've got a trip planned to the Lakes in a couple of weeks so I hope it's here by then

EDIT:

Sorry Drew

:jacked:

Last edited:

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
so going back to spider thread ,no matter how many times you take it down is it back up the next day?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Polyester sheathed dyneema or dyneema arborist throw line is ideal. Exped line is poly covered dyneema, Dynaglide is throw line. I prefer the poly covered because the polyester acts as a UV and dirt barrier and stops the core wearing. Poly covered also knots better IME.

Marlow, English braids, Kingfisher, Liros and Samson all make a variety of these lines for arborist and marine racing use. A google will throw up loads of vendors for 'Dyneema rope'

Dyneema isnt just lighter- it floats, UV resistant, rot proof, harder wearing than steel, doesnt stretch, doesnt soak up water, hard to cut and is generally the mutts. The downer is it doesnt knot as easily and is pricier, but this is easily solved with hardware/modified knots and not needing to replace it for ages.

I've had Kingfisher and Marlow braids on my tarp for 2 years now (3mm kingfisher ridgeline , 1.5 mm marlow for tie outs), awesome stuff.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Yes mate, its round. The problem with tying knots in it is that its incredibly slippy stuff compared to the usual nylon/polyprop cords. Overhand knots will collapse easily. The polyester covered stuff has more grip and holds knots a little easier.

A quick search of HF will show plenty of knots to use with amsteel (Amsteel=pure dyneema braid)

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
No worries Shewie!

I guess its going to have to be a compromise between knot tying ability and weight then!

Unless there are any more wonder cords out there anyone knows of!?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What do you want the line for Drew, is it for a ridge line, guy lines or both ?

To avoid knots you could use fig 9's on the ridge or mini line-loks for the guy lines.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
UHMWPE Dyneema/spectra lines are the ultimate mate, nothing is stronger or lighter for this purpose. PBO/Zylon braid is stronger but doesnt like being flexed.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
What do you want the line for Drew, is it for a ridge line, guy lines or both ?

To avoid knots you could use fig 9's on the ridge or mini line-loks for the guy lines.

OK I gotta ask, but only as I've not heard the term before, what's fig 9's please?

knowing my luck something very simple!

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Cheers folks,

Shewie, I reckon it will just be the ridge line, I'll use a mix of lighter and shockcord for the guys.

I do however have my eye on some Dutch kit. . . . but I'm having trouble sourcing some in these parts! (missed the group buy :( ) Might have to go for the fig 9 option. . . .

Drew

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE