Ultimate boots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well after failing to get some Danners when in Canada am after an alternative.
Any suggestions?
I would like a winter/ autumn boot brown not too hot full leather pref not goretext but would if I liked them and about 8". Would like to come in at under £200 and want them to last a lifetme....which I'm hoping will be quite a long time!
Dave
Dont want much do I!
Oh yea can find Danners in brown

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Meindl Dovre extremes are my choice, don't intend to buy anymore boots till i'm 40 :lmao:
For £200 the worlds your oyster, fit's the most important thing though, try as many manufacturers as possible, one will fit like a glove :)
Would also recommend Scarpa's, well built and designed but they don't fit me :(

I'll give a plug to a local industry here. Try Alt-berg (check out their on line catalogue) "The last bootmaker in England". I've called on their services many times over the years and they've never let me down - from desert boots to 4 season hikers.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Tommy
What about some Lundhags? I think the hunter model is a brown leather upper with a rubber coated leather foot. Ive not used them myself but they were all the rage in the forces when all the brits got were rubbish DMS boots. Worth a look?
Ed

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta for the suggestions like the The McKinley Trek Classic Original looks like a nice boot.
Any feed back from you guys on Altbergs? Do like the idea of supporting British companies.....not sure how I will get to try some on though!!! Might have to go for a road trip.
Ta Dave

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I'd stay away from Meindl - I've got a pair and the rubber siding split and they overheat.
If you're really up for it there's one maker I've had my eye on for a while - if the dollar falls any more I'll be sure to be ordering some!
Steger Mukluks.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I recently got a pair of lundhag scouts - and i think they are fantastic, really comfortable straight out the box. Totally waterproof and unlined so as warm as the woolen socks i wore - didnt get too hot either.
Can you guess I love them??

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I've got a pair of Altberg Jungle boots for the warmer and drier times of year. They're fantastic: very light, supportive and comfortable. When conditions get wetter and colder, I clean them and put them away and use my Lundhags. These would be my boot of choice for all the same reasons as the Altberg but even more so.:D

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I agree with bardster (who gave me feedback on the scouts), the lundhags scouts are the really good. My last couple of lundhags lasted 6 years (I actually outgrew them), compared to 2½ years for my meindl performance which cost twice as much (and sucked from right out of the box to the bitter end). The lundhags have a real quality feel over them, totally KISS. I used mine on an outing this weekend, walked 22 km on saturday, and 25 km yesterday, mostly through peat bogs and wetlands, and was perfectly dry (except for some inevitable perspiration).

If you don't like the look or feel of lundhags I would go for alt-bergs, since I think one should support local (or maybe domestic at least) companies. I really like the look of some of altbergs models, especially those with the norweigan welt.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
TTC
If it's any help I bought my Chevalier Ultimate boots a few years ago on the recommendation of Ben & Lisa at Woodsmoke.
I have not had any problems with them at all, they are warm (even have slots for heated pads in the insole :) ), they are waterproof right up your shins and they are part leather part material. They do have goretex in them but I never have any problems in breathability or sweating.
I give them a clean every time they get muddy and at the moment they still look almost new - I am expecting them to last a lifetime ;)

http://www.blackislander.co.uk/footwear/shop.asp?start=28&show=&catid=&rangeid=&itemid=23

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE