UK Woodland Overnighter + Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Hi All,

So it was a friend and I's first overnighter after both spending many weeks reading about Bushcraft and "back to basics" camping.

The trip went pretty well, and I think we were well prepared however we did run into mossies (and lots of them!) as well as a couple of ticks.

To help replace the metal pegs that DD kindly provide we their tarp, we carved a couple of wooden pegs to replace them. A fun activity that gave us a great sense of achievement.

CIMG2603_small.jpg

The camp, and we think where the problem with the mozzies started. Note the large shrubs behind the tarp? During setup (dusk) they seemed to come out en mass and start feeding on our new blood!

CIMG2639_small.jpg

There was a lack of tree's in our spot so we had to use the full length of the ridgelines. Mine was stretched the full 15m(!)

CIMG2641_small.jpg

Camp finally setup, we quickly dug a fire pit and kept the dirt to one side to cover our tracks in the morning. It also really helped keep the mozzies off! They were persistent though and flying/waiting under our tarps.

CIMG2657_small.jpg

I tried to combat this by propping up the tarp a little which again helped a little but wasn't perfect :( I was in my USMC MSS bivvy with the green Patrol bag with my friend in a hammock (with the luxury of a mozzie net).

I didnt get much sleep (1hr tops) as I could constantly hear them buzzing around me even though I pulled the bivvy closed over my head.

After packing up early the next morning and returning the site to how we found it, we started discussing some of our mistakes and how we could perhaps change them.

* Loose short clothing is not a good idea.

I had the luxury of trousers and a long sleeved shirt but was still bitten, on my head, neck, and hands of all places?!? Would wearing a mozzie head net be recommended in this situation? Is it a little overkill for camping in the woods? What about gloves?

* We didn't pack/wear any insect repellent.

Are there any recommendations out there? How good is it? It was very "muggy" in the woods, and after setting up the camp I was very sweaty. Would it still work?

* Ticks (We didn't realise until we got home)

We both ended up being bitten. I was bitten on the corner of my lip (eek!) and removed it as soon as I got back with some tweasers. Is this because I slept in my bivvy on the forest floor do we think? My friend was in a hammock and still had 3, however we think it may have been because of the walk to the site through a large amount of fern.

* Other kit

We thought we did quite well here and had everything we needed for sleeping, eating, and staying safe. However if you think we missed something, please let me know.

All in all a good night, however the biting bugs took the shine off a little for me, however I am still very keen to go again - but learn from the last trip.

Any advice to help would absolutely fantastic!

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
looks good! its great to get out.

with regards to mozzies where you near any open water or drainage ditches etc as they flock around areas like that, a more open dry area and they might be less of a problem.

i use a 30% DEET insect repellant and find it works quite wel, however i have to re-apply it every couple of hours as i sweat it off. i usually do one last application before bed then im usually ok till morning (providing i dont sweat) i also find that wearing long sleeves and trousers helps a lot, keep the cuffs tight and the legs tucked in socks or something and the collar done up and that helps.

looks like you had a great time :) and learning from each trip is what its all about!

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I like the stakes- you could kill dracula with those. :)

Unlucky with the ticks, I haven't had the pleasure of pulling one out yet. I always avoid bracken like the plague (or should that be lyme disease) as they love to live in the stuff.

As for the mozzies, most DEET based repellant is good. (careful with this stuff, it melts synthetic clothes)

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The best commercial repellant I've found is Lifesystems Expedition 50 spray. It doesn't annoy or smell vile like most others, contains deet and can last upto 48 hours even when sweating alot. I've used it for a couple of years and it keeps everything off 100%. I've also forgotten to apply it sometimes and always been bitten to death then, so it is very effective. It works so well for me that T-shirts and shorts are OK even in infested areas.

Last edited:

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the feedback guys.

We were not near any open water, but thank you for the recommendation on the DEET based repellent, I was also looking to pick up one of the Otom Tick Twisters (http://www.otom.com) to keep with me just in case!

Quick question, do you think it would be advantageous to hang something like this http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/bugproof-combo-mosquito-net-treated-single under a tarp for extra protection? The USMC bivvy doesnt have a mossie net built in over the head so this should help to stop them further?

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
Never used insect repellent myself. I always wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts and always take a mozzie head net.

Sleep either in a bivvy bag or a hammock without mozzie net. I find that if there are any mozzies they disappear soon after the sun goes down and it gets colder.

and a nce smoky fire helps a lot!

Never had ticks, either -- probably as I wear long trousers

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks for the feedback guys.

We were not near any open water, but thank you for the recommendation on the DEET based repellent, I was also looking to pick up one of the Otom Tick Twisters (http://www.otom.com) to keep with me just in case!

Quick question, do you think it would be advantageous to hang something like this http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/bugproof-combo-mosquito-net-treated-single under a tarp for extra protection? The USMC bivvy doesnt have a mossie net built in over the head so this should help to stop them further?

If you use the Lifesystems spray, you won't need a net, it'll work through the night. You don't notice it's on you once it's dried and a quick extra misting before you kip down will sort the blighters that like to stop up late.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Mozzies can easily ruin a nice night or few nights out :(
Always go long sleaves for shirt and pants and never forget your mozzie repellant. The ultimate is a hammock with a mozzie net which is a god send when the little blighters are driving you mad.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I don't have any personal experience with camping in your part of the world, but I can offer some advice that works for us here...a tent is great refuge from the bugs; we sit around a campfire till the bugs get real
annoying, then head for the tent where you can read a book if you're not sleepy....but also I think site location is a big factor; we always set up on the shore of a lake or river, giving us often an onshore breeze to
keep the insects away. It seems there is always a great difference between the shore area and even as little as 50m into the bush...we would never consider setting up camp in the middle of the forest.
For some reason, Canada seems to have a reputation for hellish insect situations, but I don't think it is any worse than the UK or Scandinavia...the important thing is to find your groove on how to live with them;
we spend dozens of nights a year camping out and really the only time we use deet is on some portage routes through lowland bush...I've spent many nights staying up late wearing minimal clothing and not getting bitten
just by being where the insects aren't.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I agree with silentpaddler, location is half the battle. Midges and mozzies hate wind in my experience so camp where there will be a nice breeze.

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Thanks again guys,

It was a pretty muggy day and evening, in the middle of the woods so there wasn't much wind at all really.

I think you're all bang on with selecting the right spot, I think next time we will ensure were not near any rhododendron bushes, as they seemed to be half our problem!

Ill take the advice on investing in a good spray too, and see how I get on :)

Chris

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Put some green on the fire to get smoke going. That sends them off. to keep them away get yourself a little smoked too! Not too much because it wont be healthy but I find I real fire and smelling of smoke calms them down. Also I like to put candles out as they attract insects that burn themselves on the flame and any extra smoke is a plus.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE