UK price vs USA price

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Blankfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
I was thinking of purchasing a wolverine from kellamknives.co.uk at £66.50.

But I looked at kellamknives.com & the same item is $87.50!

This equates to £48ish (£1=$1.8).

Am I the only one who gets annoyed at the price difference for UK purchased items compared to American purchased items? :evil:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Blankfisherman said:
I was thinking of purchasing a wolverine from kellamknives.co.uk at £66.50.

But I looked at kellamknives.com & the same item is $87.50!

This equates to £48ish (£1=$1.8).

Am I the only one who gets annoyed at the price difference for UK purchased items compared to American purchased items? :evil:
Well,
Doing the maths that looks about like US price +transatlantic shipping +VAT +import duty on all that goes before, in this case the dear old tax man looks to be the ripoff merchant!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
That's really not that bad at all ... I've seen many a straight dollar/pound price difference on things ...$100 stateside, £100 here kind of thing. I think if you shipped that Kellam to the UK at $87.50 I don't think you'd get change from £67 is you were clobbered for import duty.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
ive seen a benchmade knife on sale for $110 but here its £130 that is really bad. GT who make bikes have dropped the uk prices since the pound is so strong.

if we all chip in a fiver im sure we could send one of us the the US and bring the stuff back. i will volenteer my services as a way of supposting this fine site. the blade peeps may help out as well

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Blankfisherman said:
I understand all that but the conclusion is breath lots of air because it seems to be the only commodity that isn't taxed!

Or have I spoken to soon?
I wouldn't hold my breath ... :-D or maybe I should ... :yikes:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the dollar is quite weak at the moment so you get more for your pound

BUT......

Its the tax that causes the biggest difference in price remember that there is an import duty on knives of around 8% + the VAT 17.5%

also the price you quote is without overseas shipping, go into the shopping cart page and click on overseas airmail then click on recalculate total

you will now see that the price is $ 101.50 (£56.31)

then add the UK knife import Tax and the VAT........

And the price is now £70.... So its cheaper to buy it in the UK

We dont set out to rip you off, But we cant help the fact that the goverment does

I hope that clears up any confusion :biggthump

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Stuart described the situation well, and don't forget you get taxed on tax as well, if I remember right it goes somthing like add goods and shipping together then charge import duty then charge vat on the total of goods, shipping and import duty. Nice scam if you can work it and if you are the taxman you can :cry:

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I have just recieved four GPS units, sent from the states and no extra charges at the front door...lucky eh!! :-D

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Chopper said:
I have just recieved four GPS units, sent from the states and no extra charges at the front door...lucky eh!! :-D
I find if stuff comes via the straight postal service it usually comes without charge (particularly if you live in the sticks and your postie can't be bothered trying to collect it!)

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
If Andy goes stateside to collect a few hundred knives, I wanna be at the airport to watch him get through customs! :rolmao: :rolmao: :eek:\: :wave:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
As a private individual, you can import from CONUS. If you use the United States Postal Service, global priority airmal as your shipping method, then on landing in the UK, it goes to the UK post office to complete the delivery. Sometimes VAT & Duty are added, but sometimes they are not. With the above shipping method, frequently you will not be charged VAT & Duty. Exactly why this is the case, I have no idea. It seems to be up to the PO as to how they feel that day. I would have thought customs would insist on taxes being paid, and would MAKE the PO collect them, but they dont. Why they dont, I have no idea. So, if you import direct from the CONUS, you may get your item cheaper if you are lucky enough to duck the taxman's radar, or you may actually pay more for your item if your parcel gets inspected. It's roulette.

qweeg500

Forager
Sep 14, 2003
Hampshire
The best way around the charges is to get a stateside friend or rellie who can order the stuff for you and post it over.
I got a Swannie from NZ and a collapsable bucksaw from Canada for half what they cost in the UK. :wink:

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I was recently informed that several 'loopholes' are being plugged, for example 'comercial sample' is to be taxed also...

Items returned under warranty are not taxable as duties have been paid already... Do the math guys! :-D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Gentlemen there are some good points made here but there are some that are way off........I mean, way off this time, sunshine!

Give me five minutes and I will put the side of the UK dealer/distributor/retailer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE