Norway Gear Review - what I took & how it performed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
All the below was taken to Norway on the recent jaunt with Torjus and other members on the forum. I've tried to keep the * rating very severe. Only three items got 5* and one item got 1 star! Both 5* items have been supplied with a link so you get the correct item!

This is just my opinion - yours probably will vary.

Base Layers:

Merino Wool Long-johns and long sleeved top: 4*
Pros: Excellent – never left my skin for the whole week (eww!) 200 gm/m2 was sufficient. Does what it says on the tin
Cons: Top wasn’t as long as an ulfrotte’ top and so created a gap for cold air to attack relentlessly. This fact was lorded over me at every opportunity – scum.

Synthetic (Hot chillis) base-layers: 2*

Pros: They offered a smell-free alternative
Cons: It felt like I was about to go cycling in lycra. Very low cut neck-line. Wool base-layers were better.

Trousers:

Craghoppers Kiwi Winter lined: 4*
010900-44-26.jpg

Pros: Cheap – I got them for £12. Does what it says on the tin
Cons: Not water resistant. When kneeling in snow/ice the wet knees gets rather annoying pretty quickly, so even if it isn’t raining I found that the lack of water resistance in a cold climate was cheesing me off.

Paramo Cascada Trousers: 4*
cascadatrousers.gif

Pros: Excellent wind and water resilience. Long and seemed to be great at keeping the snow out, even without gaiters. Can be taken off in the evening without removing boots (see below for why!)
Cons: Heavy (not a problem if worn, but only if packed for the baggage allowance). Not fire resistant, so had to remove each evening. Small number of pockets (two with zips). Zips can snag on themselves and require un-mittening to resolve.

Thermal layers (tops):

ARC'TERYX Wool top: 4*

arcteryx-regent-cardigan-mens-heathered-black-2.jpg

Pros: Great little top which didn’t show the dirt in grey. Warm enough to be worn in the evening, whilst cool enough to prevent sweating. Made a fantastic combo with the Alta II and base-layer for all-day use. Deep pockets. High neck. Good build quality
Cons: The most expensive thing known to man. Purchased in Norway for about £110, as I didn’t have a wool top before I left.

Norwegian sweater from the “Norwegian Sweater” in Bergen (tourist trap): 3*

60540a.jpg

Pros: Cheap – about £7. Very warm (almost too warm). Pure wool.
Cons: Looks like my gran knitted it.

Jackets:

Paramo Alta II: 5*
paramoalta2.jpg

Pros: Excellent thermal adaption – it’s fantastic at keeping you at a consistent temperature despite a changing activity level or environment. It’s totally wind and waterproof. It’s just “dandy”. Bottomless pockets and very good quality construction (it’s three years old already!)
Cons: It isn’t fire retardant; many an evening was spent quickly hiding it from the scary fire daemons. Velcro top pocket seems a little stupid when compared to the superior zip pocket on the other side.

Mountain equipment Omega (down jacket): 3*

1189106235.jpg
(mine is green)
Pros: When worn by a Norwegian it was described as a “very good jacket” during a blizzard. Brilliant thermal insulation. Very light. Waterproof during test. Close fitted, but very comfortable despite athletic build – few air gaps! Excellent zips – they never jammed.
Cons: Slightly short. Despite going down to -25 degrees, it rarely left its stuff-sack and duties as a pillow; my other thermal layers were sufficient. This isn’t a bad reflection on this jacket, more that my primary jacket was used in more situations.

Extremeties:

Thorlo Mtn. Climbing socks: 4.5*
Pros: Really warm, excellent construction, very comfortable.
Cons: The dirt doesn’t really wash out.

Bridgedale Expedition Summit: 3.5*
Pros: Warm, ish
Cons: Not as good as the Thorlo ones.

Ortovox Antarctic Mitt: 5* (http://www.facewest.co.uk/Ortovox-Antarctic-Mitt.html)
Antarctic-3.jpg

Pros: Excellent construction. Three layer system. Totally waterproof and windproof. Durable. Great mix of what’s good about modern (waterproof, durability) and traditional (wool for warmth and fire-proof.
Cons: Expensive, but have still used the layers in the UK (not all three though)

Accessories:

Typhoon Buff: 3*
67202.JPG

Pros: Warm, windproof, comfortable, close fitting.
Cons: In this situation a skiing buff makes you look like a goon-berry with a rave fetish. Windproof also meant that you cannot breath through the thing when it gets really cold, so you have to use it as a hat – and not a nose/ear protector.

Mountain Equipment Alpine Gaiters: 1*
me_alpinegaiter.jpg

Pros: Waterproof. Certainly kept the snow out – and the blood too!
Cons: Too small, despite largest size available to go over mountain boots or two trousers. REALLY poor construction quality – logo threads were coming off by the end of day one, both straps seem to be made of a fibre impregnated rubber which started to separate very quickly. I cannot stress how annoying the stupidly close fit really was.

Ulfrotte’ balaclava (400gm): 4*
1803.jpg

Pros: Excellent – use as a scarf/hat/balaclava – all depending on conditions
Cons: SAS wannabe look-alike when reviewing photos. Cold nose.

Mountain Equipment Snowline Sleeping Bag: 5* (http://www.facewest.co.uk/pp/me/snowline.htm)
7s&

Pros: Lightweight, tiny, comfortable and most importantly WARM. Waterproof – so much so when the shelter melted my feet got wet as the drips of water went down the sleeping bag and collected in a big puddle in the bottom of the bag. Exceeded the comfort rating(-20) by about 5 degrees in a home-made snow shelter and still got 8 hours sleep. Great baffle system – only my nose was visible at times!
Cons: Price – lightweight, waterproof down bags which have a comfort rating of -20 don’t come cheap. But I didn’t pay quite as much as on the website given.

Sorel Caribou Mens Boot: 4.5*
674940_492Prd.JPG

Pros: Superb warmth, including removable liners which could be worn inside the sleeping bag. Cheap (~£35). Waterproof. Large tread – although this doesn’t sound important, the size of my tread and my more measly weight allowed me to “walk” over much of the snow, instead of sinking in *all* of the time. Jealousy – they won’t admit it, but these boots made everyone else jealous.
Cons: Large to take over/store. Use when back in the UK – none.

Scott Ski Goggles: 2*
scott_89x_sm.gif

Pros: Great to keep the snow out
Cons: You look like a tw*t when you wear them. Thanks for telling me guys...

Knives/Axes/Saws not reviewed, you know what blades you like. All I would say is ensure they can be used with your mittens on; taking them off is a pain in the posterior.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice to know the sorels' did well. Mine have still to see snow as I bought them and they turned up too late, the next winter I was in Iraq whilst Germany had a hell of a cold winter. One day they will get used properly.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I'm curious to know how a third item that got 5 stars seems to have materialised in your review?

Apart from that, I've got most of the kit you rate highly and none of the stuff you rate lowly. Paramo zips catching is annoying isn't it.

EDIT: Did you notice with the snowline, when you wake up, you are warm, but the outside of the bag is freezing cold? That's a good sign.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
I'm curious to know how a third item that got 5 stars seems to have materialised in your review?
Pixies.

True on the Snowline though - it's a fantastic product.

I was probably rather harsh on some of the kit - to be fair the synthetic layers were purchased for £15 from the USA (for both items together) the ski goggles for £4 from someone at work, and the gaiters I'm sure would be great in the UK. However, it's good to know how things perform in that environment; my deepfreeze doesn't fit me with all my kit on...

Ag

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Anyone know where you can get a pair of Ortovox Antarctic Mitts, new or second hand, I'm desperate for a pair but can't find them anywhere, maybe discontinued. I fanyone has a pair they don't use/want, I'd gladly pay/swap something.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Oetzi, I think that link's supply has ran out. Do you speak german? If so could you confirm if it has sold out? Do you know any places that have them in stock/can order them? Thanks

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Oetzi, I think that link's supply has ran out. Do you speak german? If so could you confirm if it has sold out? Do you know any places that have them in stock/can order them? Thanks

Size 9 and 10 (L and XL) are in stock = "lagernd"
Size 8 (M) is available shortly = kurzfrist. lieferbar

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE