UK Mammal Survey - news story from the BBC website

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
rabbit numbers on my folks place seem to have dropped

another round of myxy

re emergence of buzzards and other hawks

plus a couple of guys with a pair of harris hawks and a boxful of ferrets

hmmmmm and 2 vixens with 9 cubs between em being shot

i guess they been struggling a little

nice to hear otters are pushing mink out though

Tant

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Water voles live in the Fenland ditches behind my house they're great little critters, rats, foxes, ill have to start identifying the different rodents my cat "spider" brings in i get at least one a day :roll: (yes i know spider is a daft name for a cat, but i like spiders :spider: )

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
tomtom said:
are pole cats native to britian?
Scotland i think is the last place they are found, did you know that Polecats are in the same family as the Giant Panda! just a bit of useless information for you :roll: Ive got 6 ferrets 3 of which are poleys they make fantastic pets :biggthump

jakunen

Native
No, they are native.

Mink were introduced from Russia(?), and whilst a few did escape from the farms, most were either dumped by mink farmers who gave up ont them or were released by activists who obviously thought it was better to release them to create complete havoc to our native species than be turned into a coat...

jakunen

Native
One point about the demise of the Scottish wild cats that they didn't really mention in the article, just that it was a cause for concern, is that they think that this is because of the large numbers of feral domestic cats which are cross-breedign with the wild cats and a new hybrid species is evolving which is trending more towards the feral tabbies, than the wild cat. They are concerned that eventually this new species will totally replace the true wild cat. Not a happy story!

hootchi

Settler
Alot of that is very promising stuff.

the most spectacular rise documented in this survey is that of the polecat
the badger; up from around 175,000 to 275,000
seals; with the common seal up from 35,000 to around 50,000, and the grey seal from 93,000 to 130,000
the otter; which shows a rise from around 7,000 to 12,000
goody :super:
The return of the otter is bad news for the mink, whose numbers have slid from 110,000 to 37,000
and more good news :super:

But some of it just breaks my heart
The wild cat is, however, a cause for major concern, ... with the population in the Scottish Highlands now thought to be only a few hundred.
:cry: i love wildcats!! Im going to change my avatar:wink: (you'll see later) :cry:
The dormouse is also fading - though the Society says it is not sure by how much.
we must do something:cry:
reference

Emma, they are introduced but I think they've become such a part of the british countryside they're here to stay. Did you know Lundy Island ,1/2 mile wide and 3 miles long is host to over 40 000 rabbits :yikes:

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
I feel the same way. Its another of Britains natural predators that could be wiped out.
It would be a great shame to see that happen.

gb

Forager
Nov 4, 2003
Cornwall
Wildcats eat mainly samll mamals like mice and rabbits, and game birds, but wolves eat larger prey like deer, so there probably would'nt be much competition. Not totally sure tho. :?:

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Strangely enough wolves actually eat loads of mice and other small mammals - In some areas mice, voles, hares etc probably makes up the largest part of their diet. however they probably wouldn't compete for the same prey as a wildcat in that they hunt in different ways and different places.

George

hootchi

Settler
The wolf and wildcat can and do live in the same area in other parts of the world. However there is bound to be competion for food where the prey species overlap. Particularly in winter when the wolves are forced to eat smaller mammels as substantial prey become harder to catch.

I am definitly not against the re-introduction of wolves, instead just to realise that the current population of animals in Britain is not exactly healthy. Its a shame that the current population of the wildcat is so low and, considering they survived the last ice-age, something ought to be done.

Just a thought?

Hootchi

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE