UCO mini-lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
reading about the Polish Tipi on here made me unpack the one I'd got on ebay months ago but never got out (for a variety of irrelevant reasons!). Must try it in the garden next week - at least I've buttoned it up so far! However, noting the comments about how dark these are got me to thinking about the UCO mini-candles - I've seen them in the various ads and similar style ones in the USA, but never used one. How effective are they? I like the KISS principle of them (and size), but do they actually provide decent light, or is the 9-hour one a more sensible one? I'm fed up with battery-driven ones, and wouldn't have a paraffin one in a tent.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
The mini lantern gives off a ambient light, perfect for heat and finding your way around the tipi, however not good enough for reading- you'll need the full monty for that.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Yep. I use one and very happy with it.

As widu13 says; good ambient light to find yout way about and bed down etc.

Can't comment if the 9 hr one is any brighter as I've not tried it.

Good thing about the Mini is that replacement candles are cheap and easily sourced; and if you get the neoprene cocoon you can store spare candles inside.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Of all my Uco lanterns, I like the Mini best.

I use 9 hour Tealight candles in it, specifically, these, which I've just sourced locally at a 'pound shop' type store, saving me a trip to my regular supplier, and 75p a box!

x-F1-597389.jpg

For reading, I use a Photon Freedom Micro CN which mounts in a clip, or a Petzl e+Lite.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I have a cheap one manufactured by Coughlins of Canada. It is aluminium with a glass chimney. Burns tea candles and they last quite well. I carry 1 or 2 extras in the lantern, stacked on top of the one that is to be used. It all works like a charm, and best of all was the really low price.

I highly recommend a tea candle lantern. I have some of the other types but never use them. For the price, if it turns out unsatisfactory, you can toss it into the bin and you wont be out hardly anything.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I have a cheap one manufactured by Coughlins of Canada. It is aluminium with a glass chimney. Burns tea candles and they last quite well. I carry 1 or 2 extras in the lantern, stacked on top of the one that is to be used. It all works like a charm, and best of all was the really low price.

I highly recommend a tea candle lantern. I have some of the other types but never use them. For the price, if it turns out unsatisfactory, you can toss it into the bin and you wont be out hardly anything.

yhst-48109644545262_2101_15599664

This one?

Which I do not seem to be able to find in the UK.

The UCO one no problem, but £25? Please tell me we can get them cheaper than that? Ok, found them for £20. The tealight one for £10. Must be missing something at that price!

Sort of looking at my Carlsberg can at the moment. Bet you could make one really easy, maybe two. With one door, or opening so you can move it out of the wind, control the light from it, or were it is seen from.

Anyone seen those 9 hour tealights with Citronella in them?

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Minotaur: That's the exact one that I have. I didn't pay more than 2 or 3 dollars for it.

Yes, I have seen the Citronella tealights but haven't tried one as yet. 20-25 pounds is terrible to pay for one of these! Many of the prices that you blokes pay for things seems to be fairly well in line with what we pay, but every once in a while I see something like this and I just shake my head. I can't believe that someone couldn't import these from Canada and sell them reasonably and still make a good profit. Perhaps shipping is way worse than I imagine, but these things don't weigh hardly anything.

I have made several candle lanterns out of beer/soda cans and although they work ok, they are very bulky in comparison. I'm thinking that with the tealight candle, you could get by with a substantially smaller can. Perhaps something like one of those tiny tomato paste cans or a vienna sausage type can. Never made one this small, but hey! why not! If you make a small one keep us posted.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Yes, I have seen the Citronella tealights but haven't tried one as yet.

Wondered if they have enough cit in them, do carry the oil so I can add it to candles.

20-25 pounds is terrible to pay for one of these! Many of the prices that you blokes pay for things seems to be fairly well in line with what we pay, but every once in a while I see something like this and I just shake my head. I can't believe that someone couldn't import these from Canada and sell them reasonably and still make a good profit. Perhaps shipping is way worse than I imagine, but these things don't weigh hardly anything.

A lot of companies seem to use the Leatherman system which is to keep the same price, so $118 = £118, basically double.

I have made several candle lanterns out of beer/soda cans and although they work ok, they are very bulky in comparison. I'm thinking that with the tealight candle, you could get by with a substantially smaller can. Perhaps something like one of those tiny tomato paste cans or a vienna sausage type can. Never made one this small, but hey! why not! If you make a small one keep us posted.

Will keep in mind what you said, and will post pics when I get round to it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
yhst-48109644545262_2101_15599664

This one?

Which I do not seem to be able to find in the UK.

Just be careful if you do get one, it's common sense really but I did myself a nasty with one in a tent many years ago. Ruined a perfectly good Berghaus fleece in the process and got molten wax all down the right side of my face and ear.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
There are oil lamps and then there are oil lamps. I have a small, stainless steal one that nestles inside its globe and then is pulled partway out to light. It is too "trick" to really describe, but the main feature of it is that there is an 0-ring sealed cap that screws over the tube that the wick exits from. With the cap in place it absolutely will not leak.

This lamp holds, (I'm guessing) about 250 ml. of oil. If I put the proprietary oil in it, it absolutely does not smoke at all.

Another plus or possibly a minus, depending upon the weather, is that it puts off more heat than a candle. Not good in a hot environment, but just the ticket in a cold one.

It is not terribly heavy and seems to burn forever. It is the only decent oil lamp I have ever encountered. It is not readily at hand so I cant tell you the name of it. or if they are still manufactured. I bought it about 20 years ago in a backpack/mountaineering store. If there is any interest in the brand name, I'll dig it out of my "stuff" and check.

woodtramp

Sep 5, 2010
North Dakota
I have two UCO lantern and love em, I use one for candles and one for a homemade copper pipe Oil Lantern works good and bright, the oil lantern works fine just need to trim the wick down to the nub and it puts out a nice glow that is good enough to read by.....I got the instructions on some site or another, don't remember remember.
I just carry a small seal able container of odorless mineral spirits.....burns clean and bright

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I use the standard size uco lanterns, very good.

never trued the mini

I make my own candles though. (a good excuse for messing up the kitchen)

with tealights best to replace the wicks. they invaribly have nasty ones that dont burn well. I use old wick saved from good quality candles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE