uco candle lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
Has anyone used or is using one of these single candle lanterns.
I am thinking of getting one for use at camps or maybe in a tent, I see they also do a 3 candle version which they say can be used as a small cooker.
The single version is around £20-00 (worth the money or just a gimmick?)
Thanx
Have fun shoot a stick:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have one and its ok....Not a huge amount of light, Waylands candle is brighter, one candle inserted into the bottom of a 4 litre milk carton, with the top cut off....Also, the uco lantern will get clogged up with wax from time to time, even using the correct candles, which will cost you about £1 each. They are ok and safe to use, but expensive for what they are....Some of the guys bought cheaper ones off ebay about a year or so ago, but they proved to be pretty bad at getting clogged up with wax.....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have two which set me back about £15 each

I have made my own candlesa but have not tried them yet. I added a touch of beeswax to make them harder

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Waylands candle is brighter, one candle inserted into the bottom of a 4 litre milk carton, with the top cut off...

That's a good idea..I used this one last time i went out... was superb!

DSCF6473-small.JPG

Free too, also swings away from the wind automatically and has built in light reflecting surfacing ;)

Cheers
Carlo

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nice one Carlo....Give the milk carton a try, it really glows well, is wind proof and free as well. Just cut off the bottom of the carton, cut an x into the lid, push a candle through it and use the handle to tie it to a tree with a bit of paracord. The 4 litre one is the best to use....

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have a look in Au Natural too; I got six pop up/ fold flat hexagonal metal lanterns for a pound each yesterday :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
I have had a lantern like this for about 20 years now. It was marketed under another name in South Africa,but is exactly the same. Never a problem and the only thing that went wrong was a broken glass-easily replaced from Trek direct. The only wear on it is at the hinge at the top-no big problem. When the correct candles are difficult to get-it is easy to make your own.
I have now also bought 1 of the brass Zimbabwean lanters that take standard candles, but because of weight is finding myself still packing the UCO.
Anything that lasts this long is worth its money.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I was shown this by two swedes I met climbing in the verdon in 1992. They were taught it during national service. Not rain proof like the cool beer can but still good.

Evian bottle and tools.
PICT1131-1.jpg

Cut the top, conical part off,
PICT1132-1.jpg

Put it inside down with the candle supported.
PICT1134-1.jpg

PICT1135-1.jpg

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Mmmmm
Intersting home made versions but the UCO wins for me as it goes out when knocked over.
As I sleep under nylon it keep me stress free!
The UCO seems to provide an amazing amount of heat for its size when in a small tent. Seems to keep the condensation down and I leave it on all night.
The citronella version is untested but anything that keeps the midge away must be good.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I want this, but with the oil lamp setup, which no one seems to sell in the UK.

Seems such a better idea, for camping use.

Really like the can idea, carry can, drink can, do something useful with the waste.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE