U.S. Military sleeping systems

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yowee

Does anyone have any knowledge of the US military issue sleeping systems it seems to consist of a goretex bivvy bag, and lightweight sleeping bag and a down bag for cold weather and a compression bag, it seems quite good but thought I would check with the experts first, let me know what you think, cheers :biggthump

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I don't have one but have, inspected one for myself.

the system seems pretty sound,

zips and fasteners are good quality, the sleeping bag poppers into the bivy bag which means it's easier to use, ie, the bags don't twist at night, an extra liner will popper in as well, i believe you have a choice of popper or zip or both to close the whole system, which would make it very weatherproof and ideal if one of the closures fails.

if you zip up completely you will get condensation problems, the system dosen't seem to have any storage space for a bag so you would have to make provision for proofing your bag!

all in all it seems pretty good, 10 out of 10 for design but as mentioned, size and weight could be an issue!

how you would cope with changing clothes, or making breakfast from your bivi bag (whilst still inside) could be tricky as it seems a tight fit(sleeping bag sized!

goretex as a fabric will always keep you dry as long as the fabric is looked after and it gets re-proofed regulary!

my best suggestion is play with one!

get it out in the shop, get into it, see how small it goes, try all the zips and poppers, (you'd do this with a jacket!), remember you'll wish you had if there's something wrong!

:roll:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Was offered one, new, complete at Beltring for very good money and was quite excited (need a new bag) until I saw it...Big, like BIG , big. The Softie will have to persevere for a month or two yet, despite the...cigarette burns.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE