Type 1 Diabetes - minimalist carry kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Hi all​
Thought I'd post this in case it's of any interest.

My other half has Type1 diabetes and it's bothered me for ages that her Insulin and blood test kit are kept in her handbag which is the most vulnerable place as:

- The handbag is an item most likely to be stolen.

- If you are ever evacuated from anywhere in a hurry the drill is to leave all belongings and in a loud confusion the likelihood of being able to explain that 'excuse me I actually do need my bag' is minimal.

As anyone who has or who knows anyone with diabetes, the kit isn't small and could only be carried on your person if you're wearing combats, a bum bag etc. For daytime there's a fairly substantial (and hardly pocketable) hard case for the insulin pen and needles and a smaller, soft case containing finger pricker, test strips and blood sugar meter. If you are out overnight there's another (soft but large) case with another insulin pen and needles to add to the pile. (Size of pens and cases does vary dependant on insulin type and brand)

I wanted to see if it was feasible to come up with something that she could stuff in her pocket if travelling alone or I could put in my trouser pocket if we are flying together.

The kit comprises:
1 vial fast acting insulin
1 vial slow release insulin
1 blood sugar meter (this was from when my father developed type 2 diabetes in the last stages of cancer, the blood test strips came in a plastic bottle on which the lid contained the test meter. It's very compact and about a 1/4 if the size of ones my lady has been given (though not as accurate)
Test strips for the meter
Two finger pricking lancets (the pricker itself isn't essential, you can just ***** yourself)
Two 1ml Insulin syringes. (Though technically single use, you can get away with more if you take care)

Uploaded with ImageShack.com
This all fits in a ziplock bag, in enough kit for two days and a night and is smaller than her blood test kit.
I carry one with me at all times. Clearly it's not as good as having all the proper kit (reusing needles, pricking fingers by hand etc.) but it's all the essentials for emergencies and I'm glad it's there.

These pics compare to the kit she carries and to that kit removed from its cases and reduced in bulk as far as possible.

Wanted to share in case it's of interest or for comment if I've missed anything.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tidy, compact and all to hand :approve: Maybe add a couple of sterile wipes ?

Can I suggest something though?
No one complains when folks pick up their glasses; there are silicon, waterproof, glasses cases available now for a couple of £'s; would one of them hold her small kit safely and unobtrusively ?
Like these ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girl-Lady...pt=UK_Purses_Wallets&var=&hash=item43b1d85f5c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Si...pt=UK_Purses_Wallets&var=&hash=item43b2944f99

( I can recommend this seller, I've bought several things from him, and all got five stars, but these ones aren't totally waterproof)
atb,
M

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good luck. I can't find a way to fit my kit in my pocket and I'm type 2. The test kit includes the meter, the test strips (up to a week or two worth easily) the lancets (also a week or two worth) the log, and the alcohol wipes. All in a soft pack about the size of two packs of cigarettes.

But the oral meds (3 for diabetes and another 10 for hypertension, gastric reflux, cholesterol, etc.) take up a kit the size of a personal hygiene kit.

But the real problem is the injectable (I was on Byetta for several years but was switched to Victoza two years ago) needs to be kept refrigerated or cold. And while a single injector the size of a large ink pen contains ten days worth of medication, the ice pack is much larger and there is still a need to carry at least 10 single use, replaceable needles The actual tips for the injector)

When I recently flew to St. Louis for the wedding of a friend's daughter, it took longer to clear the bag of meds with my hand carried stuff than it did to clear the gun in my checked luggage.

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
You can get bags that has the jelly grains in them that you put in water and when you take them out it cools whatever is inside the bag. It is worse for insulin to get to cold than to get to hot, so in summer say you could put the meds in the middle of a bag or wrapped in a damp item to cool it down.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Advice from my missus (GP and type 1 diabetic)....

You do not want to keep your insulin in your pocket for more than a few hours as it can get too warm for too long and degrade the protein, which will reduce its effectiveness. Not to mention the increased risk of contamination.

My missus has all her kit in a pencil case. When travelling, she will keep one set in a bum bag or in her handbag and one set in the car or in her luggage.

She noted that you are carrying 2 pen cases around when 2 pens should fit in one case. Accucheck also do a combined tester and lancet which doesn't require a whole heap of sticks as it has a cartridge containing 50 tests. Its a bit larger than the one you have but its very accurate and would reduce the overall bulk of your kit.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Tidy, compact and all to hand :approve: Maybe add a couple of sterile wipes ?

Can I suggest something though?
No one complains when folks pick up their glasses; there are silicon, waterproof, glasses cases available now for a couple of £'s; would one of them hold her small kit safely and unobtrusively ?
Like these ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Girl-Lady...pt=UK_Purses_Wallets&var=&hash=item43b1d85f5c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rubber-Si...pt=UK_Purses_Wallets&var=&hash=item43b2944f99

( I can recommend this seller, I've bought several things from him, and all got five stars, but these ones aren't totally waterproof)
atb,
M

Hey Toddy
Thanks for the suggestion I'll have a think about the cases. Yes on the alcohol wipes though she often doesn't bother so I didn't see them as essential. Tiny though so why not.

Good luck. I can't find a way to fit my kit in my pocket and I'm type 2. The test kit includes the meter, the test strips (up to a week or two worth easily) the lancets (also a week or two worth) the log, and the alcohol wipes. All in a soft pack about the size of two packs of cigarettes.

But the oral meds (3 for diabetes and another 10 for hypertension, gastric reflux, cholesterol, etc.) take up a kit the size of a personal hygiene kit.

But the real problem is the injectable (I was on Byetta for several years but was switched to Victoza two years ago) needs to be kept refrigerated or cold. And while a single injector the size of a large ink pen contains ten days worth of medication, the ice pack is much larger and there is still a need to carry at least 10 single use, replaceable needles The actual tips for the injector)

When I recently flew to St. Louis for the wedding of a friend's daughter, it took longer to clear the bag of meds with my hand carried stuff than it did to clear the gun in my checked luggage.

Hi Santaman
Have a look at Frio cooling wallets online. They are pretty compact and work surprisingly well at keeping the pens cold. In the past when travelling I've wrapped her kit in socks or tshirts and dampened them. Ideally you want a breeze over them for maximum cooling.

You can get bags that has the jelly grains in them that you put in water and when you take them out it cools whatever is inside the bag. It is worse for insulin to get to cold than to get to hot, so in summer say you could put the meds in the middle of a bag or wrapped in a damp item to cool it down.

Just to clarify, do you mean that it's worse for it to get hot? That's certainly my understanding so guessing its a typo in your post (not criticising just want to be clear for others :))

Advice from my missus (GP and type 1 diabetic)....

You do not want to keep your insulin in your pocket for more than a few hours as it can get too warm for too long and degrade the protein, which will reduce its effectiveness. Not to mention the increased risk of contamination.

My missus has all her kit in a pencil case. When travelling, she will keep one set in a bum bag or in her handbag and one set in the car or in her luggage.

She noted that you are carrying 2 pen cases around when 2 pens should fit in one case. Accucheck also do a combined tester and lancet which doesn't require a whole heap of sticks as it has a cartridge containing 50 tests. Its a bit larger than the one you have but its very accurate and would reduce the overall bulk of your kit.

Hi Ecoman
thanks to you and your wife. Yes, absolutely right on the efficacy of insulin degrading with heat. I should have mentioned , the only time it's in a pocket is if , say we're on a plane. In this case I'll swap in a nearly used vial of each for the journey then junk them. Otherwise the kit is in my first aid kit in my bag or in a bum bag where it should last longer.

Yep, she could fit wo pens in one but not the needles etc. and if they're in her handbag shd doesn't really mind (personally I'm surprised she can find them amongst the other detritus. I'm sure Lord Lucan popped his head out last time she opened it)

re: the Accucheck meter, she was advised that the meter she currently uses is one of the most accurate available in the UK. Thanks for the tip though. Again size wise it's not too much of a problem for her unless it can be got down to so small in total that it is pocketable for emergencies and losing the main kit.

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
Her current meter should also measure ketones which the accucheck ones don't. Never noticed this until I was looking at them today.

Have a look at various pencil cases. We found that the canvas ones are excellent when we are out on a walk as we can waterproof them. She can also keep a stock of glucose tablets and Glucogel should she need an emergency sugar top up.

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Hi Eco
You're right , it does measure ketones I didn't realise others didn't.

Thanks re pencil case idea. I'll look into it.

Happy Guy Fawkes all!

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
I'm using two setups.

One complete kit for my everyday commute to work, including my glasses, digipass, knife and pens. I keep it in my rucksack.

Diabetes Kit by Golb.be, on Flickr

When I don't need all these things, I'm only carrying my insuline pens, needles, blood sugar meter, agenda and a pen. This all fits in a Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer. It's still big, but it fits in the inner pocket of my jacket. I've also attached a string of paracord so I could carry it round my neck, or on my belt.

Diabetes Kit by Golb.be, on Flickr

The smaller kit is handy when I don't carry my rucksack and I don't want to show up with a man-purse :)

As long as I have this kit I can keep my blood-sugar levels controlled for several days. knowing that you can reuse (in an emergency) the needles several times. So depending on the amount of insulin in the pens and the amount of test strips in the canister, it can keep me going up to 7 days.

However, if I have to loose everything in an real emergency, I (and most of the people with diabetes) can survive for several weeks without insulin. It's not healthy, but you will not drop dead immediately if you miss your daily dose of insulin. On the other hand, when traveling I would bring some extra discomfort. So better to prepare 2 (or more) kits when going on vacation.

Novo Nordisk sells these days a prefilled flexpen. This can be handy on vacation also as a backup pen. (http://www.novonordisk.com/diabetes...expen/introducing-next-generation-flexpen.asp)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi Santaman
Have a look at Frio cooling wallets online. They are pretty compact and work surprisingly well at keeping the pens cold. In the past when travelling I've wrapped her kit in socks or tshirts and dampened them. Ideally you want a breeze over them for maximum cooling......

....the only time it's in a pocket is if , say we're on a plane. In this case I'll swap in a nearly used vial of each for the journey then junk them. Otherwise the kit is in my first aid kit in my bag or in a bum bag where it should last longer....

Thanks. I've looked at the Fria wallets online. It was someone here that suggested them to me in a previous thread. I haven't gotten round to getting one yet though. I'm also not sure if they're legal in carry-on luggage on board aircraft.

On recent flight I took my kit in a small insulated lunch bag. The Victoza pens went into the bottom compartment with reusable Blue Ice while the needles and test kit went into the top compartment. My oral meds all went into a clear zip-lock bag as per TSA requirements. My normal set up for road travel is very similar except that I substitute a small personal hygiene bag for the clear zip-lock bag.

Where the Frio wallet would be a big advantage is for hiking/camping into areas where there's no freezer to re-freeze the Blue Ice and no ready resupply for normal wet ice. I'm afraid all these systems are always going to be bulky though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE