Tying method for eyeless hooks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
I don't know if this technique has been posted before but this method would suit self made hooks too, I do not recall seeing this method before so maybe worth a view.

[video=youtube;ur9dhdb_qdo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9dhdb_qdo&feature=pl ayer_detailpage[/video]

Hope it is of interest

Rob.

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Its called a Snell knot, standard fare for tying spade end hooks. :)

Its the same knot formed as when using a "Hook Tyer" from a tackle shop.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
or... a common whipping.

If you want to reduce the chance of it pulling through, pass the free end through the loop twice before pulling tight.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Our normal "spade end" hooks are great, but the general small sizes that we use dictate that using a hook tier for a good tight, secure knot is essential :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Thanks for the added info, after many years of part time fishing using hooks with eyes, this is the first time I have seen this method of tying eyeless hooks.
What is a Hook Tyer?

Rob.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Untitled-1.jpg

One of these. (this is not the Drennan one)

It's for helping to tie the really small match hooks on, but speeds things up with bigger hooks too. The sliding piece of metal, when pressed down, releases the loop made at the start of the whipping. Actually very simple to use.

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Our normal "spade end" hooks are great, but the general small sizes that we use dictate that using a hook tier for a good tight, secure knot is essential :)

Years of practice and Winter Leagues has enabled me to tie down to a size 26 with just my fingers, ive got some 32's around some where too

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Untitled-1.jpg

One of these. (this is the Drennan one)

It's for helping to tie the really small match hooks on, but speeds things up with bigger hooks too. The sliding piece of metal, when pressed down, releases the loop made at the start of the whipping. Actually very simple to use.

Thats a Matchman / Fladen hook tyer, the Drennan ones are totally different, still does the same job though, this is the Drennan one

!BrEb96QCGk~$(KGrHqUH-CMEvF1Og1mtBLyIGdOOgg~~_35.JPG

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's insane!

I have no idea how you can even hold the hook. :notworthy

It's even more insane when you see the size of my fingers, it's like anything else though, lots of practice, it was a case of having to learn how to do it, so i could replace a hook quickly when fishing a match

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
It's even more insane when you see the size of my fingers, it's like anything else though, lots of practice, it was a case of having to learn how to do it, so i could replace a hook quickly when fishing a match

Hats off mate, I could do a size 20 but nearly started crying at smaller.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I happy to say I can still do 26 by hand. Not keen on hook tieing gadgets as they do twist fine mono.
If you can do it by hand the very action of turning it around the shank stops the hook link from twisting kinking.
The machines do work but you need to be carefull with the new pre-stretched materials.

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I remember my first attempt at tying on a spade end hook and pulling the hook into my finger when i pulled it all tight, had the choice of going to A+E, cutting it out myself or cutting the end off and pushing the barb the rest of the way through. as it hadnt gone too deep I decided that option 3 was the best way out of the situation

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE