Two VERY rusty lanterns......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
So I got these two, given them a bit of a brush to see What makes they are, never heard of either which is not surprising as I know very little about these.
Big question is do you think they can be restored ?
And if so, whats the first step ?
Any ideas muchFD3E03F9-CDF5-44A0-A713-BE9D071B5E45.jpeg6856AF5B-4F3E-43AE-97F3-C8B2F4119C89.jpeg14742C80-E81B-432B-A794-621E5C1C40C2.jpeg2883F2D5-094B-45D2-BB3F-021102176196.jpeg

Last edited:

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Check them for leaks first, put some liquid in an see where it leaks out..if it seeps here and there then no worries...personally I’d strip down the working parts and make sure they are all turning, get some rust treatment on them to stop any further rusting, then away you go...get some paint on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You've got a couple lanterns by Chalwyn, a good British manufacturer of hurricane lanterns. The models you've got are Tropic and Gremlin and, apart from the rust, are in pretty good condition.

I've got 2 or 3 Tropics and am still searching for a Gremlin :)

As for restoration, this is what I did for a couple Feuerhand lanterns that were in a similar condition and this is a Chalwyn Tropic I did up similarly. You can go full restoration as I did or stop at the rust cleared stage, both would look good.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Thanks for that, some further cleaning reveals that one tank is holed on the base at the seam, other seems OK, need to get the fuel cap off to see if tank holds liquid but its well stuck, put some penetrating fluid on and will try tomorrow.
Will keep you updated !

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Thanks for that, some further cleaning reveals that one tank is holed on the base at the seam, other seems OK, need to get the fuel cap off to see if tank holds liquid but its well stuck, put some penetrating fluid on and will try tomorrow.
Will keep you updated !

Lift the glass up and remove the wick holder then you can add extra penetrating oil in to the tank so it soaks both ways

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
The Gremlin is intact so far, in citric acid to de rust.
The tropic is holed but got the glass and wire support out if you would like them as spares ? Happy to post or you can collect from Bradford, not sure where you are.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Will keep you updated !

Tbh I would repair the hole, run some solder on it, patch it up...don’t give up on it yet find a work around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
There she is, wick still looks good, can I use it ?
OK, more stupid questions.....
More time in acid or wire brush from here, whaddya think ?
I have a bottle of liquid paraffin which is clear and more viscous than paraffin, is this a usable fuel or stick with paraffin ? I thought they would be the same but they are clearly different.
when cleaned up, just pour in paraffin, allow it to soak up the wick and thats it, right ?
Mesquite, if you would like the spare glass and wire for the tropic just pm me your address ?
As ever, thanks folks, I am learning so much.

4D19EFAD-6F91-447F-B855-DFE84A14ACC0.jpeg

Last edited:

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Well, for one I dont have a car battery lying around, and I would most likely, as a former A level Physics teacher, electrocute myself !
Will stick to citric acid I think, its brought the wick holder up lovely.
What do you reckon on the paraffin front Ed ? Is liquid paraffin ok as a fuel ? Its much more viscous than ordinary paraffin.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'd leave it as is apart from putting it in an oven for a while to dry it out thoroughly, especially the tank. Once dry take a green scourer and lightly rub it down then spray with WD40 and you're done.

As for fuel they're designed to burn paraffin or lamp oil which is the same, just not as smelly.

Thanks for the offer of the Tropic globe spares are always handy :) I'll drop you a message later on

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
I'd leave it as is apart from putting it in an oven for a while to dry it out thoroughly, especially the tank. Once dry take a green scourer and lightly rub it down then spray with WD40 and you're done.

As for fuel they're designed to burn paraffin or lamp oil which is the same, just not as smelly.

Thanks for the offer of the Tropic globe spares are always handy :) I'll drop you a message later on
Thanks man, top tips !

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Gremlin fired up but burning very smoky, sooting up the glass. Using lamp oil so not sure why....

4559DC4E-C7A1-40FA-BE15-ED25914C5266.jpeg
Now sorted, wick too high, will clean glass and post Again if its clean.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE