Two Trips to Stora Hornsjön.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The first time that I visited Stora Hornsjön ( Bighorn Lake ) was at the beginning of November. The forecast was a bit iffy, but I’d just done six 12 hour shifts and needed to get out. It’s only about half an hours drive to the lake, so I had a relaxed start to the day and picked up some supplies on the way. The Halland Trail goes down the western side of the lake, so I decided to base my walk on that with some side trips off it on paths marked on the map.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=57.34468,12.375584&spn=0.067802,0.15398&z=13

It’s a good job that the trail is marked by the orange blazes on the trees, otherwise you wouldn’t be able to see it at this time of year.

PB070353.jpg

Again, I’m wearing a red hat because it’s hunting season, although the American windproof that I wear makes sure that I stand out well.

PB070357.jpg

Further on, the trail markers came in useful again, or I wouldn’t have found the footbridge.

PB070358.jpg

PB070359.jpg

Five minutes on from the bridge I found the wind shelter. I stopped here for a snack, and a look at the view.

PB070364.jpg

PB070371.jpg

The fireplace was pretty good, although the area had been pretty well gleaned of all dead wood. This shelter did not have a woodshed, but it did have facilities nearby. This late in the year though, they were like a festival toilet on a Sunday night.

PB070360.jpg

There were some canoes locked up here as well, and I later found out that you can hire them from a nearby farm.

PB070361.jpg

Walking south from the shelter, I found a great hammocking spot after about 200 metres, close to the lakeshore and with lots of firewood.

PB070374.jpg

I diverted from the Halland Trail in several places, taking side trails to get the views over the lake from rocky outcrops.

PB070375.jpg

PB070377.jpg

PB070376.jpg

I thought that it was two people on the island, but looking through my monocular I realised that they were cairns. Even the side trails were marked, and took me along some lovely paths.

PB070378.jpg

I carried on through the woods and past some crags,

PB070382.jpg

where I found this inscribed stone and a sign explaining it.

PB070385.jpg

PB070389.jpg

I continued towards the southwest point of the lake, and then went for some lunch by the lakeshore. I was walking towards the water along another line of crags when two red deer hinds burst out from behind a little rise. As they raced away between the crags and the lake, I tried to get my camera out of my pocket but I realised that I had no chance. They were out of view in a few seconds, but the surprising thing was that they made almost no noise as they sped through the leaf litter.
I had my lunch and a brew not far from the water’s edge.

PB070395.jpg

After I packed up I went off the path and went in the same direction that the deer had ran, north along the lakeshore, but I didn’t see them again. I found a stream that was marked on the map and followed it inland and back to the trail. I took another side track that was heading north and found this shelter next to it,

PB070400.jpg

PB070404.jpg

but I had to crack on as it was getting dark, and another half an hour saw me back at the car.
I took two things back with me from this walk. I found this little Mora near the wind shelter,

PB070412.jpg

and this Deer Ked. It took some catching, as it seemed to instinctively go to that part of my back that I can’t reach.

PB070414.jpg

My second visit was the weekend just gone. Big Swede and me went to camp on the peninsula at the south end of the lake. Because we couldn’t get there until after dark, it was the perfect place as it’s only a few hundred metres from the road. We had a quick recce of the place in daylight a week or two ago, and we found a great place for hammocking.
When we arrived we got the hammocks and tarps up straight away, and then collected enough firewood for the night. We found a big fatwood stump, and with some firesticks off that and some birchbark soon had the fire going.
We made some tapers from fatwood sticks, and Big Swede carved a sinister looking wooden idol, which he sacrificed to the flames in some ancient Swedish ritual.

PC120466.jpg

PC120480.jpg

PC120495.jpg

We made some food after that, Big Swede’s offering was a very healthy pearl barley, green pepper and leek creation, and I balanced that with burgers, flatbread and blue cheese spread.

PC120476.jpg

After our feast I broke the whiskey out, and the area was illuminated when we burned the rest of the fatwood stump.
It was snowing a little bit when we crashed,

PC130508.jpg

PC130506.jpg

and I was hoping to wake up to a good covering, but it had all melted by morning.
Breakfast was “Nyponsoppa” or rosehip soup.

PC130516.jpg

I’d never had it before, but it was lovely. Apparently it’s made of dried, ground rosehips, sugar and a thickening agent. Big Swede mixed the powder up with water and heated it over the fire. We had that with more flatbread, and it certainly sets you up for the day. We sat around the fire for a bit and had a few cups of Rooibos Spice tea,

PC130520.jpg

and then got packed up

PC130511.jpg

PC130524.jpg

PC130531.jpg

and set off back, after a brief but very enjoyable night out.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I'm sure that Big Swede, or another Swedish BCUKer will have more info. From what I remember, they're deseeded, dried and ground up. I haven't a clue what the thickening agent is, but it was quite gloopy.
I haven't tried it yet, but there's a bleaberry version too, called Blåbärssoppa, and no, I don't know how to pronounce it. I'll try to get hold of some, apparently it's sold in the dry goods section in supermarkets as a powder, or pre made in cartons.

Cheers, Michael.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Disclaimer: I have never made rose hip soup, but this is a recipe I found in a book here at home. For those who wanna try the real thing, it is available at ikea

Rose hip soup recipe:

7 dl of fresh, rinsed and emptied rose hips, or 5 dl of dried emptied rose hips
1.5 liters of water
1.3 dl of sugar
1.5 tbsp of potato flour

Step 1. Rinse the rose hips carefully, if you use dried ones they should be crushed. Make sure that there are no seeds left in the rose hips!
Step 2. Bring the water to a rolling boil and add the rose hips, boil them soft under a lid for a few minutes. Stir every now and then to mash the rose hips.
Step 3. Now it's time to blend the rose hips. In the past this was done in this way; the rose hips were placed one by one in a chinoise, and then forced through the sieve with a wooden spoon or spatula. Today we know better and just buy the powder or use a blender. If you prefer the hard way you should end up with 1.3 liters or so of rose hip soup. If you blend them you will have considerably less, as you blend the actual rose hips and not the whole water mix, no problem though, just add new water until you have 1.3 liters.
Step 4. Put the soup-to-be in a pot and whisk out the potato flour in a cup of the mixture. Add the sugar to the pot and bring to a simmer, add the potato flour mixture slowly and stir continuously. Allow to cool before serving. My recipe has a penciled note on the side saying lemon juice, probably in small quantities.

Serve with whatever you fancy. On the trail I prefer just some hard bread, or any bread. At home it's good with most stuff, biscuits, chopped almonds, cottage cheese, ice cream. The rose hip soup can be served either cold or hot.

You could probably make your own powder to. Grind some dried rose hips and mix with the above proportions and just boil it up with some water. In health stores here you can sometimes find rose hip flour. Maybe you can in the uk as well? Should be easy to knock something up.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
It is part of the ECWCS but it's the windproof. Weighs nothing, packs up small, the pockets double as vents and it's manufactured by Patagonia, so you can be sure that it's well made. As I was saying to Big Swede though, if I ever had to hide, I would take it off.

Cheers, Michael.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
It is part of the ECWCS but it's the windproof. Weighs nothing, packs up small, the pockets double as vents and it's manufactured by Patagonia, so you can be sure that it's well made. As I was saying to Big Swede though, if I ever had to hide, I would take it off.

Cheers, Michael.

I'd read somewhere that Patagonia had made some elements of the ECWCS. Whats the fabric?? ARPAT seems to be a very theatre specific pattern...

Do you have plans for the Mora?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
I don't know what the fabric is off hand, but it's one of the quieter synthetics.

I'm going to clean the Mora up and see how it turns out. If the rust isn't too bad I'll make a sheath for it and give it to my son for his first knife. The finger guard should help to ensure that he keeps the correct number of fingers.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE