two person saw resurrection..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well I came across a couple of two person saws the other day - not huge - a bit over 4 foot and of course had to acquire one (would have had them both if i had more cash at the time!).

Now it does need a bit of attention - its rather rusty on the surface but all the teeth are present and doesnt have much wear on them, they still appear to be nicely aligned alternately outwards etc so im hopefull it might be resurrect-able. But to do so i might ask for a little advice;

Handles - the ones present are old and worn and come out of the conical fitting easily so im planning on replacing them. Is it worth including something below the eyelet so the hands go top and bottom of the metal fitting rather than the two above to eaven the pressure? Or just stick to the normal little pole types wich probably require relatively gently use to not snap em quite quickly?

how does one sharpen big teeth like this - i assume a file but what bevel should be used on the tooth? and do you sharpen both sides.

Many thanks in advance

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I'm pleased you explained it, I thought it was going to be a thread on religeon.
You'l need to set the teeth as well as sharpening it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You also need a special saw set - they are hard to com by but available - took me Months to find mine. You also need to ensure the teeth are all the same height (theres a tool for that too) and a file + filing jig.

Red

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Saw sets are hard to find Red cause most people dont know how to use them!
They are still available and necessary for the job......pm me if you want a price on one.
D

I just love this forum, it has such a great amount of information available in its membership:)
I picked up an Eclipse no77 tool at the car boot at the weekend, didnt have a clue what it was :eek: but thought oh well its only 50p, i'll research it , and failing that post a picture up on the forum and see if anyone knows what it is....
..and before I get around to doing it, this post appears, sparks my interest and off I go , use my best google-fu and find this and a picture of the very tool (or one similar) appears!
many thanks, and good luck getting your saw sorted :)

Cheers, Mike

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
sharpening saws is easier than many people think, be it a little time consuming.

i have resurrected old bow saws (the good old type that can be sharpened, not just thrown away) and i have had good results. actually much better than disposable blades:)

i have a one man cross cut saw that im trying to sort out too. i have an Eclipse no77 but the problem with the plier type setting tools is that they are only for small saws such as carpentry saws and bow saws. they are way too fine for a cross cut.
usually a cross cut is set with a hammer and special anvil which i have no idea where to get:(
maybe i could make one...

there is another tool to set a large saw, a kind of leaver with a slot in it but i don’t understand how you achieve a uniformed set with one??

If your saw has rakers they need to be joined slightly lower than the cutting teeth (very slightly) and there is another special tool for this which you have no chance of ever finding:( then they have to be reshaped, sharpened an then swaggered (not strictly neccassary).

there is a manual at the top of the page http://www.sctrails.net/Trails/LIBRARY/FSPubs/fspubs.html

don’t give up on this, it is a great skill to know, one than many cannot say they have!
If you have ny other questions I will be happy to help:)

pete

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I think this is the same as linked to above but this one can be downloaded in one part instead of several. CROSSCUT SAW MANUAL.

I've got a bit of a collection* on Scribd with chainsaw stuff and axe information.
Chainsaw Lumbermaking is quite an interesting read if a little old.

Oh and THIS site shows a lot of saw wrests, saw sets and saw levers

*Well, actually I have several collections but the others are Bike Manuals, Metalworking and Woodworking so not quite as relevant to the subject matter.

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Handles - the ones present are old and worn and come out of the conical fitting easily so im planning on replacing them. Is it worth including something below the eyelet so the hands go top and bottom of the metal fitting rather than the two above to eaven the pressure? Or just stick to the normal little pole types wich probably require relatively gently use to not snap em quite quickly?
replace them as they were, you don't want to be fighting with the saw it should glide and two hands above is what you want.
how does one sharpen big teeth like this - i assume a file but what bevel should be used on the tooth? and do you sharpen both sides.

Many thanks in advance

If it is just peg tooth (lots of triangles) and in good condition which it sounds (look down from the end and see all the lefts in a perfect curved line and all the rights in a perfect curved line) then you should be able to get away with a good clean up (wire brush followed by light oil) and a gentle sharpen following the existing bevels. Each tooth has two bevels, hold it in a vice while you work. Use a new fine file (flat chain saw files are good) If the teeth are uneven, out of line etc then it needs more work, first setting them all to the same height by running a file along the tops then sharpening each tooth to remove the flat then setting . The crucial thing with all saws is that each tooth should be identical, if one is leaning out a bit more, sticking up a bit more or a bit more blunt then it takes all the wear and the other teeth don't touch and cut regardless of how sharp they are.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Cheers robin - looking at the tools above i was having trouble seeing how they would work on mine - the teeth are more like 10mm deep +.
I dont have it with me but dont remember there being noticable bevels on the saw, i did wonder about that and assume there must have been at sometime, im hoping it wasnt made to hang on a wall or something silly!?

Non of the teeth appear flat on the top or more worn than others so hope the set is not going to need to much work, although how i am going to do this in a flat i have no idea! :) im not sure the neighbours will quite be happy with me in the car park with this one.
Have to wait for the weekend now anyhow..

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hmm seems like i need to consider more than just sharpening it up..although if i am honest i might just do that and re-handle it so i can have a play as long as there are no teeth obviously out of line. At least to start with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE