Two Nights in the Great Outdoors... (PIC HEAVY)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Big pat on the back to you and your mate for clearing someone else's mess.
Love the photos. Looks like great fun. Makes me wish I was mobile so could get out and test my new hammock and tarp.

Ian

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
looks like a nice secluded spot judging from the vast amount of photos!
pity about the other camp sites you encountered, cheapskates couldnt even plump for decent lagers lol
i hope you kept the bbq grill hanging on the tree they are really useful bit of kit for a fixed camp excursion.
the mess in the first campsite reminded me of when i was a wee cadet and we came across an area that had been vacated in the middle of the night by a TA unit on exercise.
we found allsorts of crap littering the area including an SA80 with a full mag!!!!
we encountered the unlucky soldier later on looking for his rifle and the conversation went something like this.
MY SGT = alright mate, you lost?
SOLDIER = errr no, have you lot been here long?
MY SGT = yeah been here for the last 2 days.
SOLDIER = oh ok, you havent picked up anything from around here have you?
MY SGT = possibly........
SOLDIER = ok can i have it back?
MY SGT = depends.
SOLDIER = on what?
MY SGT = on what you got in your pockets my friend.

my instructor relieved the poor gent of around £80 for the return of his rifle lol

anyways was the area you were in on a slope cos half the trees looked like they were on the slant! possible deadfall risk.

Mar 7, 2009
Nottingham
Great post! nice pics. Respect goes out to you and your mate for clearing up and lugging the rubbish away! some people have no respect for the outdoors.

Indeed they don't! Couldn't believe how much of a mess was left behind!

Big pat on the back to you and your mate for clearing someone else's mess.
Love the photos. Looks like great fun. Makes me wish I was mobile so could get out and test my new hammock and tarp.

Ian

Cheers mate!

Why aren't you mobile? No car? Just jump on a train / bus and get out there!

P.S- is your hammock the DD camping hammock?

It is indeed the DD Camping Hammock!

It's my third hammock, as I first had the netted one which I got off eBay about 2 years ago, which I soon realised was useless for sleeping in, as I'm 6' 3" and it was microscopic!

Second one was the Nomad XL Tropical jobbie, found here; http://www.ronniesunshines.com/nomad-tropical-hammock-p-954.html but it was still a bit short... I used it many a time, but was always a bit cramped up foot or head end, so I've recently invested in the DD Camping hammock.

The DD hammock is about 15 cm longer, which makes a big difference! This was its maiden voyage in-fact, and I was very impressed!

looks like a nice secluded spot judging from the vast amount of photos!
pity about the other camp sites you encountered, cheapskates couldnt even plump for decent lagers lol
i hope you kept the bbq grill hanging on the tree they are really useful bit of kit for a fixed camp excursion.
the mess in the first campsite reminded me of when i was a wee cadet and we came across an area that had been vacated in the middle of the night by a TA unit on exercise.
we found allsorts of crap littering the area including an SA80 with a full mag!!!!
we encountered the unlucky soldier later on looking for his rifle and the conversation went something like this.
MY SGT = alright mate, you lost?
SOLDIER = errr no, have you lot been here long?
MY SGT = yeah been here for the last 2 days.
SOLDIER = oh ok, you havent picked up anything from around here have you?
MY SGT = possibly........
SOLDIER = ok can i have it back?
MY SGT = depends.
SOLDIER = on what?
MY SGT = on what you got in your pockets my friend.

my instructor relieved the poor gent of around £80 for the return of his rifle lol

anyways was the area you were in on a slope cos half the trees looked like they were on the slant! possible deadfall risk.

Can't believe that! SA80?! Mental!

I didn't keep the grill as it was uber scummy, and I couldn't be bothered cleaning it up!

Nice one Robin ,
Twodogs

Thanks mate!

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Also, where in the peak district is this? and how did you have it pre-planned, been there before? or is it a designated spot for wild campers?

Great post & a fantastic couple of day's out!
It amazes me the amount of trash left in the Peak District by people who would profess to enjoy the countryside.:rant:
You have my admiration & respect for the sterling work you did to put right the wrongs of others.:You_Rock_
I would be interested to know roughly where you camped although I'm sure you wouldn't want to broadcast the location, perhaps a PM to interested members?
:beerchug:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers mate!

Yes the whole forest seemed to be full of half dead pine trees, one smaller tree (just in front of our fire) fell over just by me leaning on it!

Should have thought about the possibility of things falling from above though! Thanks for the tip - I'll remember to look up next time!

Looks like you had a great time,

Should be carefull though as you were camping in Lodgepole Pine. It can have a habit of shedding branches / tops very easliy under snow / wind load. Also because it was a bit of a disaster for the Forestry commission due to the fact that certain seed provinances suffered from massive Butt sweep ( see how most of the trees were had a curved trunk in your pics ), it meant that due to poor economic return a lot of plantations aren't looked after ( good for us in some ways as they're wilder) but it does mean no thining or forest management to keep it safe / pretty, so a lot of dead material about. It also means that when setting up a tarp the fly doesn't always cover the hammock due to butt shape.

The Native Americans had a few uses for the trees though "...In the spring, they stripped off long ribbons or "noodles" of the sweet succulent inner bark (cambium layer). It was eaten fresh in the spring, sometimes with sugar, or stored.
The pitch was used as a base for many medicines. It was boiled, mixed with animal fat, and used as a poultice for rheumatic pain and all kinds of aches and soreness in muscles and joints. Pitch was also chewed to relieve sore throats..."

Good on you for your low impact ( indeed possative impact camping due to clearing up after the numpties ) and it looks like a good time was had by all.

Cheers
Goatboy.

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
YOUNG MAN, you and yer mate are a credit to the human race,enjoyed yer post/pics, you'll go a long way (take a compass with yer) but the sad barstewards who left that area in such a state should be transported to the planet ZOG.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
thats what i call a pic heavy thread, and well done for tidying up thats more than id have done, i prob would have left the big bag and contacted the rangers or fc to collect.! nice one.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
looks like you had a great time.
max respect for cleaning the place up, thats gonna come back to you in a good way one day

TJ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE