Two more plants I'm completely lost trying to id

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Having fun again, and I'm completely stuck for the id of these two. They are on the river edge of the Hamble so subject to high spring tides so must be brackish/salt water tolerant. It's also growing beside hemlock water-dropwort to give an idea of habitat.

The first one has a goosefoot/fat han type leaf but this has the leaves opposite each other which the aforementioned does not have plus on size the largest example of this is only about 30cm.

WP_20150723_19_06_30_Pro.jpgWP_20150725_14_54_56_Pro.jpg

The next one I am still waiting to flower but it seems to have been stuck at this stage for weeks (being impatient)

WP_20150725_14_55_11_Pro.jpg WP_20150719_19_12_00_Pro.jpg

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
On the plus side I have managed to identify over 100 different trees and plants though this small woodland and meadow I walk.
Moving onto fungus next as it's starting to appear.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The first one is one of the chenopodiums….fat hen, Good King Henry.
The second one 'looks' like a figwort that's taking it's time to unfurl…..:dunno:

M

p.s. Just looked at the second photos…no it's not figwort. Sorry, no idea. Bound to be someone who recognises it though.
M

Last edited:

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I was just about to say it's not figwort either lol, that's already flowered in my area, only found a couple of examples so far quite distinctive with the square stem.
Regarding the first, all examples I have seen of fat hen when searching do not have the leaves opposing on the stalk as this does (sorry still not up to speed on the correct terminology)

Thanks for taking a look

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I'm probably totally wrong here, but I think the second one could be some type of Hollyhock, probably a garden escape, so you won't find it in a wild flower book. It's just something about the way that the leaves are furled, and what looks like a hairy stem, and possibly a flower bud held close in to the main stem.

But I won't stick my neck out and say definitely. Sorry!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The chenopodiums are incredibly diverse. They are gently hairy/mealy on the underside of the leaves. They smell good, mildly cabbagey.

"The young stems and leaves are often densely covered by vesicular globose hairs, thus looking farinose. Characteristically, these trichomes persist, collapsing later and becoming cup-shaped. The branched stems grow erect, ascending, prostrate or scrambling. Lateral branches are alternate (the lowermost ones can be nearly opposite). The alternate or opposite leaves are petiolate. Their thin or slightly fleshy leaf blade is linear, rhombic or triangular-hastate, with entire or dentate or lobed margins."

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Having fun again, and I'm completely stuck for the id of these two. They are on the river edge of the Hamble so subject to high spring tides so must be brackish/salt water tolerant. It's also growing beside hemlock water-dropwort to give an idea of habitat.

The first one has a goosefoot/fat han type leaf but this has the leaves opposite each other which the aforementioned does not have plus on size the largest example of this is only about 30cm.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The next one I am still waiting to flower but it seems to have been stuck at this stage for weeks (being impatient)

attachment.php
attachment.php

Strange question I know, but is this stretch of the Hamble from Curbridge to Burridge?

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
It is indeed, I am talking with the National Trust about being a warden for the area as bloody mountain bikes are causing massive damage by cutting new trails through the wood.
The identification project started earlier this year and I found identifying through the months so one or two every few days has been easier than trying to do it on one hit. I've also tried to learn what health benefits etc each plant has which help remembering.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
It is indeed, I am talking with the National Trust about being a warden for the area as bloody mountain bikes are causing massive damage by cutting new trails through the wood.
The identification project started earlier this year and I found identifying through the months so one or two every few days has been easier than trying to do it on one hit. I've also tried to learn what health benefits etc each plant has which help remembering.

It's a small world, I'm guessing that I saw you yesterday.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
I found a more sizable cluster of the second one and so I think it may be Orache maybe more the common than the spear-leaved due to the more spikey leaf.
Still quite a straggler of a plant as it does not hold itself up very well.

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
Interestingly by the pub so not too far from these samples there is marsh mallow growing out of the river bank but at a much greater height and flowering. Hopefully I do not have to wait much longer for this to flower so perhaps the brackish water is hindering the growth especially with the recent spring tides, highest I have seen this summer.

Some of the earlier images are more mallow shaped so I'm wondering if the tidal water has affected the leaf growth as the plant by the pub is high on the bank and does not get any of the tidal brackish water.

On a side note I'm now a community warden for the area for the National Trust so fun with the upkeep of the woods and the constant battle with cyclists who choose to ignore the no cycling signs and are currently wrecking the woodland creating new tracks etc.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE