Two curiosities

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Not really bushy but there may be a few on here that will appreciate this.

I was exploring the other week and found a nursery based in an old walled garden. Their shop was full of curiosities too, like basketry and handmade woolens (all horribly expensive of course), but I particularly liked these old boxes. I didn't know kippers were stored in boxes (it isn't something that I really thought about). I've no use for them but I covet these boxes. :) I would find a use.
15570403198_94ace46095_b.jpg

Looking inside the boxes, most were empty, but two were full of these. I presume they are hooks for pushing or hammering into wooden beams. Can anyone tell me more?
15732108296_2fe569cc4f_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pure guess but since hams and other materials were both hung and smoked (inside the chimney of the house often) could they be for hanging joints of meat? They are rather pretty for up the chimney so perhaps or pantry / cold room?

Pure guess - but I too covet both them and the boxes :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
We've got a hook like that hanging in our living room, and there is a Salk cupboard there too so it was used to hand the meat from to cure with the salt (presumably) and both are close to the fire I'd geuss to keep the salt dey and speed up the curing or erupting on the meat. Nice boxes and sounds like a great shop too :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
c25726fe940a99837d8e2d798dea1038-d53rusa.jpg

Nice find Harvestman, I do love a good kipper or smokie. And like you I love the boxes, I could find all sorts of uses for them. Yup the hook is for either banging into a beam or being set in masonry for hanging whatever you like from them, they do have a proper name/term, but I'm blowed if I can remember what it is.

Cracking picture by the way, I like that, would be nice wallpaper on the laptop, actually looking both would. Cheers for posting up.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you recall how much they were Mike as a matter of interest?

I wonder if I should stop storing apples is my (pre war) branded apple crates :)

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That first pic makes quite a nice Desktop Picture/Wallpaper/Background.

Nice looking boxes, and no I didn't know kippers were stored/moved in them.

:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Do you recall how much they were Mike as a matter of interest?

I wonder if I should stop storing apples is my (pre war) branded apple crates :)

It was one of those places where it wasn't even clear if they were for sale, never mind having a price. I could make the trip and find out if you are really interested though.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Nice boxes, and they are 'beam hook's.
You've reminded me that somewhere I've got some old game boxes (they were in the shed when we moved here) they were for sending pheasants and grouse from the Highlands to dealers around the country by rail.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Some kippers/smokies were sent in boxes, some in barrels. I think that higher priced, prettier ones were boxed to hold their shape and price better at market. The boxes were returnable (The picture below even says so)
KerbsideKippers.jpg

Red this place sells them for £20 Wye Valley
kipper-boxes_cropCatalogImage.jpg

Kippers were a huge market and pretty important to a lot of fishing communities as it allowed the fish to travel inland and stay good in the days before refrigeration.

Must admit being an east coast Scot I'm more partial to a good smokie. If you get to the shop when they're fresh out of the reek house, WOW a taste explosion. Spinks of Arbroath now go along to the Game Fair and the likes and smoke them fresh in wooden barrels onsite. (Much nicer than a burger!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I escaped :)

Did you notice what they descrive as "metal trunks" are actually military mortar bomb crates?

http://www.warehouse701.co.uk/reclamation//interior-design-furnishings/features/metal-trunk/

At least they look identical to the one in my barn that still has the stencilling on :)

My wallet though is already empty....so I'm safe to look. I wasn't contemplating buying - just considering the value o the "higher than my head" stack of vintage apple crates that I have!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yup they are expensive, this lot on Amazon do cheaper crates LINK. I bought some for a mate for storage in his van for food and camping gear. Good service and the crates are pretty robust. About £20 of five crates or so.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE