two axes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Just finished a couple more axes...

One Brades 4 1/2lb felling axe 31 1/2" & a 3 1/2lb unstamped American double faced felling axe 36 1/2":]

Both in Ash I harvested with Apple wedges.

Axes_00.jpg

Axes_01.jpg

Axes_02.jpg

axes_04.jpg

Chip-chop!

Tubbyfraser

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 4, 2008
Nowhere
By 'eck are you good at that or what! Very professional job and lovely axes. The helve on on the Brades looks identical to the original on my Gilpin of the same size.

Well done!

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
very nice mate :) You obviously enjoy making and fitting axe handles more than I do :rolleyes:

What is the contraption that they are sitting on (and I don;t mean your lap ;) )

It is a bit of Oak beam with some peg holes augered into it, I can wedge the axe handles etc. in place to work on them - not ideal but it will do till I make something better.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I can vouch for Petes work these axe helves are perfect, feel, balence and looks they have it all.. Quality mate ....... err did i mention the two axe heads ive got pete?? lol ;)

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
By 'eck are you good at that or what! Very professional job and lovely axes. The helve on on the Brades looks identical to the original on my Gilpin of the same size.

Well done!

Cheers.

I have an old Gilpin 4.5lb too - it was a good reference.

I made the handle a little thicker to account for it being Ash not Hickory. Still has some flex to it though - it & the double behaved well at the weekend while felling a dead standing oak around 18" thick.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Here we go.

The two of them up against a Gransfors Bruks double faced working axe.

I think they held their own ok.

Felling_01.JPG

Last edited:

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
really nice, fantastic craftsmanship :)

what knives/ tools do you use if I may ask?

Cheers

Mike

Many thanks Mike.

A kent pattern axe for shaping the billet after splitting out of the tree trunk.

A old draw knife & Frosts 120 & 106 Whittlers. Oh and some sand paper on these ones too.

leaf man

Nomad
Feb 2, 2010
Blacker Hill
lovely pieces hedgehog, those helves look great. which pattern double bit do you prefer, unamed or the granfors? in the market for a 2 bit you see
cheers

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
lovely pieces hedgehog, those helves look great. which pattern double bit do you prefer, unamed or the granfors? in the market for a 2 bit you see
cheers

Well I must first say the GB is not mine witch may jade my opinions a bit. Actually having put so much time into the other two it will take a while to really get a balanced view of them.

Three of us used all axes in rotation throughout the felling, snedding & bucking of the tree. It was the first time any of the axes had been used. I think I can say they all performed well, the Brades had the disadvantage of being rather blunt.

I was more concerned that the two handles & wedges held up to a good bashing from a couple of big stocky chaps.

The wedge on the unstamped moved about 0.5mm out of the eye after felling - there was no play in the head & it remained stable during the rest of the work. It will be closely watched in case it needs refitting or cross wedging with metal (I'll keep that for a very last resort). All part of my learning curve.

I felt the double bit & the GB performed fairly comparably. The GB is 3ib on 35" Hickory while the unstamped is 3.5lb on a thinner 36" Ash. The GB seemed to me to bite more keenly - After studying the grinds with a little more refinement of the cheeks I think the unstamped one will equal this.

As far as geometry goes I think I prefer the unstamped 'Maine' pattern. The edge is straiter so should require less in-line cuts across the trunk & the heel & toe are much less pronounced making them more durable. My opinion here is influenced by reading 'The Ax Book' a while back & searching for a head with particular geometry. Again, time will draw me to my own conclusions here.

I should leave a more balanced appraisal to the others who used them really but that's my tuppence worth.

Ta.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE