twizzle pegs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Think they could be worth a go, might be good for hard ground.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've been using them since about the late 80s and they are great bits of kit, the best thing I've used for soft ground short of burying bits of log etc.

I recently got down to 4 and so got another pack. There are two lenghts, the longer ones for when the ground is really boggy/ jungly

http://www.kitbag.com.au/prod464.htm..

Top kit if a bit bulky!

ATB

Tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I had some yellow ones years ago but the head on a couple of them just sheered off, I think the plastic might have been too brittle on the ones I had though.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I have been thinking of trying something simular, whilst searching for the best price too. I found this product, designed more for the caravan awning or car.temt user. But with a lightweight hand tool and bright orange peg = saftey, minimal loss.

http://www.peggypeg.co.uk/

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thanks for the replies folks :D

I remember plastic pegs with dismay from years back but I did wonder about modern ones.
We used to buy rawl plugs that were just soooo bad, but the new glass fibre re-inforced ones are brilliant, I wondered if they'd gotten the plastic right for these pegs things too.

The awning ones look substantial, don't they ?

I was actually aiming for lightweight because a couple of places I've camped recently I could have done with a mallet :rolleyes: and that just is too much to carry unless I'm really close to the car.

cheers,
Toddy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
I recently got some rhino pegs off ebay after being blown away at loch chon earlier this year. They're not screwie in jobs, just wallop with a log affairs but very impressed, can usually manage to drive one through chippie stones into the hardcore of the drive, they are pretty tough, not even managed to damage one yet. Nice and thin for the sides of the tent too and with a + cross section for grip.

Cheers,

Alan

I've never heard of 'twizzle sticks' before. Let alone seen or used them.

But, if you don't mind me asking... What is the benefit of them over using natural materials. Carving wooden pegs for example.

I realise that if you are in a non wooded area finding suitable material to make pegs is a bit difficult. But, then again you can think ahead and pick up some suitable wood en route.

Surely, the benefits of making your own pegs outway the downside. You can cut them to the length you need. Longer for soft ground for example.

It doesn't matter as much if you lose a few. They're biodegradeable and you can always make a few more.

Plus, you don't have to carry them in and out. I know a few twizzle sticks won't weigh much but add them to all the other kit you carry and it helps to add up to quite a weight doesn't it?

Other than having to search for the raw material to make wooden pegs what other benefits are there for buying man made pegs?

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Well when it's pouring with rain and I want a shelter up quickly It's much better to have a few pegs in your pack than having to go looking for suitable materials.

As with all things it is a matter of balancing your requirements. For most of us the balance is between convenience, weight, impact and a certain aesthetic. You have to decide for yourself where on those matters you are happy to sit.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cheers Mr Cake :D

Usually my tent goes up between downpours. It's up as fast as I can get it. So ready made tent pegs it is. There's also the diameter versus strength of the peg issue as well.
My tent is not a Niger (Big canvas Scout or Army tent) that needs pegs 15" long cut from saplings to hold it down against the gales. Just sometimes though, getting even thin metal pegs into the ground is a real pain.

cheers,
Toddy

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
10 of them (and a bit of mud, must wash them) weigh 143 grams or 5.1 Oz in real money. They hold very well indeed and come out easy even if the ground has dried out. Despite being rather clumsy I've not broken one yet, although now I've said that they probably self destruct next time out! I could have lived with a easier to spot colour but have no real objection to OG. The don't rust or corrode of course and after nearly 20 years the plastic doesn't seem to have degraded.

Looking at the websites they seem to be fairly standard kit for Aussie squaddies. I use mine with a basha/hootchie rather than with any of my tents as they are quite bulky.

Good no nonsense kit.

ATB

Tom

jimford

Settler
Mar 19, 2009
Hertfordshire
The pegs supplied with my Terra Nova Laserlite are made out of 4mm dia carbon fibre tubing, with brass points and a plastic top. They only weigh 5 grams each. I've tried breaking one in my hands, but can't get it to even flex! Because they're so thin I don't really trust them to hold in soft ground, so use the Alpkit titanium ones.

Jim

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The pegs that came with my Hex 3 are so light it is unreal. they are also about four inches long! They are Y shaped in cross section so would grip the ground well if they went in far enough. Apart from that, getting them back out of the ground is a nightmare because the hook in each land is so sharp that it rips your hand apart! So, I always cut dead wood pegs for the Hex, it's just so much easier and less painful!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've never had a tent fly off, or even pull a peg, but getting standard ones into the ground can be a pain :tapedshut sometimes.
I was looking at Ti pegs thinking they'd be stronger when I came across these screw in ones.
Glad I asked, I'm having some :D

Spam I just keep a spare peg in the bag and hook that under the hook of the one I want to lift, pull, and out it comes with no sore hands.

I've carved enough tent pegs for canvas tents to last me a lifetime. If needed, I can do it, these days, I'm having ready mades :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE