Sil-MiniPeak (2013) (Small review/pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
QfcauOy.jpg

Changes from standard MiniPeak II:
1) Over 200g lighter
2) Four upright stays sewn into each corner with associated sliding tabs to tension the frame
3) Removal of the rear zip to just offer the single entrance (Single end zip only)
4) Reinforced material bowl inside the peak to accommodate different walking pole supports
5) Lighter shock-cord and reflective guy lines
6) Material used 40D/230T siliconized nylon ripstop
7) New peak hook system for easy removal of inner nest

Specs:
Fly: 40D/230T Siliconized nylon ripstop fabric
Fly: HH 2000mm
Inner Tent: High density nylon mesh
Floor: PU Coated nylon with HH 4000mm
Guys: 11 supplied with glow in dark line locks
Weights: Tarp 710g, Nest 418g, Pegs 116g = Total 1244g

I had been looking at getting a MiniPeak II for a while now until I noticed the Sil-Nylon version (Sil-MiniPeak). They're both great designs but wanted the lighter version and have no real need for the extra door you get on the Minipeak II.

My usual tent before this is/was the Wild Country Zephyros 1, and while it is a great tent (cheaper brother to the Laser comp) I would like a bit extra room, especially to sit up in or maybe do a brew or snack in bad weather. The minipeak not only gives me this extra room but its also lighter and a more simple design. I also like the fact that it will pack down much better and doesn't require any poles as we can just use walking pole or branch.

I ended up buying from a NZ based site because UK seemed out of stock and when BPL came in stock it was either when I didnt have funds available or they went back out of stock within 10 mins of getting the bloody email. It has cost me an extra £47 altogether which includes the customs and ParcelFarce charges (About £37) aswell as an extra £10 for Saturday delivery. I didnt like these charges but really wanted this tent and was too impatient to wait for BPL to get stock so went for it.

After a lot of BS from Parcelfarce about it still been at customs (even though customs were adamant it had been released) I finally got it after couple of week.

20130901_130826.jpg
20130901_130852.jpg

First thing I noticed was the hideous color of the tent pegs aswell as them been a bit naff so these will definitely be getting swapped with my set of Alpkit titanium pegs. They're similar to what I got with my Zephyros a year ago which also got swapped with titanium V pegs as they was like bloody tinfoil and didnt even last one push with boot.

20130901_132845.jpg

This is what happened after first use with the supplied minipeak pegs, Not as bad as the zephyros pegs but still crap..

20130901_134516.jpg

Here is the corner of tent which has small plastic stays as well as a strap to give tension.....

20130901_132816.jpg

This is the vent and support arm with Velcro fastener. This is a good improvement over standard version as it now has a longer thinner arm that is attached to tent instead of a smaller wider arm that is removable, which would just end up getting lost at some point most likely.

20130901_132744.jpg20130901_132759.jpg

All up and ready....

20130901_132833.jpg20130901_132359.jpg

The inner nest area...

20130901_133754.jpg

I'm still undecided on whether I'm going to take the inner with me and just use it as a more basic tarp tent setup, plus it will shave 480g of from pack. Overall I think this is an amazing tent, especially because of price (£159.99) vs size vs weight compared to some other brands and similar types of tents.

If you have been looking for a great lightweight spacious tent for long distance walks or in the hills etc and didnt want to fork out £200-400 or wait 8 weeks etc then I would highly recommend the Minipeak II or like this the Sil-MiniPeak.

I will be taking this out for a camp this week or next so will try and get some more pics/vids of it in action as well as my opinion of it out in the field.

Here is a quick youtube video of the non Sil version been erected..

[video=youtube;rjR4XOrZQrk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjR4XOrZQrk[/video]

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
i'd be more impressed with that video if the tent pegs weren't spaced out in the ground already !

really quick to put it up if the pegs are already there :)

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Nice review mate. The outer with pegs is getting to a reasonable mountain weight now. Still think they are expensive though when compared to ones like the mld trailstar

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I'm away with it at the moment and loving it! So much more room and height then my zephyros and at same time having half the pack size :D.

Its great been able to sit up straight when getting out of bag and getting dressed/organised or if there is bad weather been able to sit up and brew up.

This will make a great tent for moors/hills etc and with exclusion of inner tent you will save about 500g.

One thing that I did notice though is that even with one of vents open you still seem to get allot of condensation. I will be opening both tonight and see how it is in morning.

The inclusion of triangle or rings on corner peg points like mentioned in other topic will make a world of difference as it will pake pegging much easier and keep straps flat, so I'll be sourcing some of those.

Overall a thumbs up from me and will make a nice addition to my light weight kit for hikes.

:thumbup:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379196137780.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379196137780.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 90
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379196232642.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379196232642.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 71

darrenleroy

Nomad
Jul 15, 2007
London
Would you explain the difference between the sil and the plain mini peak II please. Is it just the material or is there a size difference as well? Why did you go for sil nylon? Many thanks.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Nice review Adam, never got round to giving it a good look round at Steadhall. Still on my wants list...

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Nice review Adam, never got round to giving it a good look round at Steadhall. Still on my wants list...

No worries bud, You can have a gander next month if I bring it as shelter on our hike :)

Think I am going to drop the inner nest (Save 450g) in favor of a lightweight bivi/sleeping bag cover with attached or separate bug net if needed.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Condensation is always going to be an issue on single-skin shelters... Never bothered me though and once opened up it soon disappears :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Condensation is always going to be an issue on single-skin shelters... Never bothered me though and once opened up it soon disappears :)

Once I opened up the second vent it seemed ok morning after. Plus as you say it dries quickly anyway once you open doors anyway.

I was thinking of attaching some sil nylon to the bug net, to make it less draughty in winter. Perhaps by toggles to make it removable.

I'm tempted to get a light weight bivi/bag cover to replace the nest.

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 4

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
I was thinking of attaching some sil nylon to the bug net, to make it less draughty in winter. Perhaps by toggles to make it removable.

Personally, I wouldn't bother.. Pitched correctly it isn't that draughty and all you will do is increase the weight :(

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
Quick question for those using the Sil mini..............these come supplied with a tube of seam sealer and the instructions say some thing along the lines of "If expecting very wet or prolonged wet weather it's recommended to use the seam seal" so given the UK weather, are people sealing them from new or are they finding the seams are standing up Ok without ........?

I'll more than likely seal them anyway to be on the safe side, when I can get around to it.

Thanks all.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Seam seal the lot when it is new- you'll be glad you did- it is only a 3 season tent though- worth remembering when the weather turns really nasty- out comes the Nammatj 2GT :camping:
and replace those tiny ring thingies (technical term!) as 2 of mine split in half 1st time up! sheesh-

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE