Twig Whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I can remember my Grandad showing me how to make a whistle out of twigs years ago (Sadly can't remember how he did it), so I Googled it and Found an interesting link, and thought I would have a go and share my results with you!

As always ensure your knife is sharp and you have a first aid kit handy (As it turns out making this whistle it is a good job I did)

No matter how experienced you are you will get bitten by your knife at some stage

Any way on with it!!

Firstly pick a twig (I think this one is willow)

01.jpg

Find a section with no blemishes on the bark and preferably no small buds or branches. Cut this section free (Size is not crutial)

02.jpg

Next chamfer one end so it is fits your lip, only go about half way up the end of the twig

03.jpg

Take care not to tare the bark (A sharp knife is crutial) you should end up with this

04.jpg

Next take a small notch out of the top of the Twig, the flat side of the notch should be facing your lip, with the sloped edge to the rear.

05.jpg

Now about 10mm in from the back of the twig score a line around the circumference (Ensure you cut all the way through the bark) it is difficult to see on the picture but the line is about level with the tip of the blade

06.jpg

Now we need to loosen the bark without damaging it!

Roll the twig between a blunt object (The scale of my SAK) and a table, be firm but do not damage the bark!!!

07.jpg

once this is done if you sqeeze the bark at one end of the twig you should see the bark lift free, gently pull and twist the bark with your fingers and it should start to come free.

08.jpg

Try to only move the large section of bark, leaving the 10mm ring in place.

11.jpg

You will be left with a large section of hollow bark

09.jpg

(Go careful with those SAK saws, they are sharp, hence the plaster)

put this in a cup of water to prevent is drying and splitting

10.jpg

the notch cut into the wood needs to be made longer, and a little deeper, the size of the new notch will determain the pitch the whistle it should be something like this

12.jpg

now for the fine work, a sliver of wood now needs to be taken of the front setion of the whistle above the notch about 1mm of wood worked for this whistle

13.jpg

now retrieve the bark tube from the water and slide it back over the wood, dont rip the bark or the whistle will be no use!!!!

14.jpg

Make sure everything lines up, the end should look like this

15.jpg

and the whistle complete!

16.jpg

Whilst dispite its small size this whistle has a mellow tone not as high pitched as you would expect!

Here is the link I found

Have fun!!

(Edit: Sorry bout the rubbish photos))

Reactions: Martyn

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Thats great pignut! - spookily i made my first whistle (while waiting for some epoxy'd scales to dry) in the workshop.... so cheated and used a drill etc :eek:

I'm camping with the Scouts next weekend....... guess what is now on the programme :lmao:

never has the phrase 'perfect timeing' been so apt!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
g4ghb said:
Thats great pignut! - spookily i made my first whistle (while waiting for some epoxy'd scales to dry) in the workshop.... so cheated and used a drill etc :eek:

I'm camping with the Scouts next weekend....... guess what is now on the programme :lmao:

never has the phrase 'perfect timeing' been so apt!

Let me know how it goes with the scouts, thinking of using it on a programme myself

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
NIce plaster Pignut :lmao:

We used to make one as a giveaway for our shows, but we made them out of dried/seasoned twigs. If I can rememmber how il'e pass it on.

Mark

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I've made these whistles since I was a kid, and I've found that a nice green piece of willow is probably the easiest wood to use as the bark sloughs off it so readily.

I have made these from wood of up to about 2 1/2" diameter and about 10" long. The deep soft note from these big versions proved ideal for imitating the call of the collared dove and were very useful when out shooting them as pests with my old .22" Wiehrauch.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I make these whistles every spring. It`s like a ritual for me :) .
Sometimes I teach kids to do it. I usually make them a little bigger than Pignut do.
I also make them of willow, but I also use rowan (sorbus aucupària).
My father tought me this when I was a kid, and then almost every kid could make them. Now it seems like a dying "art".

I don`t roll the knife handle over the flute, but moisten the bark in my mouth and gently taps it with the knife handle until the bark loosen.
You are supposed to say a rhyme when you do this, but I usually skip that :eek: . I don`t remember the words either.

Tor

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
That's the way I remove the bark too, repeatedly tapping firmly all over the surface of the bark until it loosens. I'd be interested in the rhyme if anyone can remember it - I'd not heard of that.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Tor helge said:
I make these whistles every spring. It`s like a ritual for me :) .
Sometimes I teach kids to do it. I usually make them a little bigger than Pignut do.
I also make them of willow, but I also use rowan (sorbus aucupària).
My father tought me this when I was a kid, and then almost every kid could make them. Now it seems like a dying "art".

I don`t roll the knife handle over the flute, but moisten the bark in my mouth and gently taps it with the knife handle until the bark loosen.
You are supposed to say a rhyme when you do this, but I usually skip that :eek: . I don`t remember the words either.

Tor

I would recomend larger then this!!!

My next one will be! in fact I am going to get the wood right now!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Had my first go at this last night and failed miserably.

All I could get was an Oak twig and I simply couldn’t get the bark to lift. It eventually ripped. Whether it was me or it doesn’t work with Oak, I don’t know.

But comparing what I achieved with what you produced, that’s a lovely and neat little bit of work.

AJB

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
geat tutorial. I've been experimenting with whistles for a while now and none worked unless I used a drill. The only one I've made is a tiny piece of bamboo which I cut a notch in. if you blow into it at the right and you get a very high-pitched squeak.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
AJB said:
Had my first go at this last night and failed miserably.

All I could get was an Oak twig and I simply couldn’t get the bark to lift. It eventually ripped. Whether it was me or it doesn’t work with Oak, I don’t know.

AJB

I don't think there are many other trees that would allow the bark to separate so easily. It would need to be quite a 'wet' wood. Oak I would have thought would be pretty much impossible. Next time you're walking by a river or stream, look out for a nice bit of willow and you'll see how much easier it is.

Here are a couple of tutorials: whistle 1 and whistle 2.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I have managed another with Sycamore from a sapling,

It shed its bark suprisingly easily!

Rocket

Mar 30, 2006
Isle of Wight
Where would I find a list of poisonous/non poisonous trees?
Sorry, but of a 'newbie' question, but I'd like to have a go at a whistle, but I'm unaware of the right twig to use.

Gravo

Apr 5, 2006
Oslo, Norway
led said:
That's the way I remove the bark too, repeatedly tapping firmly all over the surface of the bark until it loosens. I'd be interested in the rhyme if anyone can remember it - I'd not heard of that.

Nice Pignut, gonna try that next time I'm out... No idea what the rhyme was but here's the Gravo version :D

Whistle whistle I made you
Now whistle whistle please ring true
Whistle whistle sing your song
And whistle whistle all day long...

p.s will I make the next Poet Laureate?? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE