Turning turn shoes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The York ones all have toggles on the inside.

I wear them all the time at work and I've never had problems with the toggles hitting each other.

Counter intuitive perhaps but they work well.

Good job by the way. I'm slowly making a replacement pair at the moment when I've got the time.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sure ill dig out the patterns although my feet are a very odd shape so they may not be that much use to a normal footed person. I highly recommend the old sock wrapped in gaffer tape with the edges of the style you want drawn on method of making the pattern. The doner sock needs to be non elasticated or the pattern pieces will deform once they have been cut off your foot. Also wear a pair of thick socks under the doner ones, especially if you intend to line the finished item. Making prototypes out of something cheap and modifying the pattern as required seamed to be well worth while.
poh yeah when cutting up the gaffe red sock cut the sole piece out so that it comes well up the side of the foot so the finished sole will form a shallow bowl, if you see what I mean.

Thanks for all the comments! I fancy doing so low ballet slipper like ones next.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry for the delay.

heres the cut up sock pattern.

imagejpg2_zps1d151951.jpg

And here's the modified paper version after making two prototypes from some gifted chrome tan

imagejpg4_zps50667961.jpg

Sellotape and bits of paper are your friend at this stage!

im making a pair of low slipper shoes for herself based on a pair from the York digs and I've got as far as the first pro type stage. Just waiting for her to try them on then going to make a pair with the heel stiffener in and a draw string round the top. 5mm veg tan for the sole. The prototype nearly fits me so I will be making a pair for myself out of natural coloured veg tan.

imagejpg5_zps13aed9fb.jpg

Atb

Tom

Ps to get a better fit on the two toggle design I cut out a stiff insole from card and loosely taped it to the bottom of my doner socked foot and wrapped the tsp around that as well. I'd have been better off putting the insole in side the doner sock a well when it came to cutting out the pieces as I cut around the edge of the card sole where I'd have liked to have cut a bit further up the sides to get the shallow tray effect so the seam isn't on the ground.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finally got around to finishing the low, slipper like, turn shoes the wife wanted to use as slippers/ tent shoes. She insisted I use some foul purple chrome tan for the uppers. I'm making a proper pair for myself, just need to sew em together.

imagejpg1_zps90e8696e.jpg

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Finished another pair but from period , veg tan, leather. They are a bit tight if I'm wearing socks so I'll either wear them without until they stretch or let one of the lads have them.

imagejpg1_zps65afe134.jpg

The soles got a good soaking in beeswax and the uppers a vast amount of tallow and wax, driven in with a hair dryer set to frazzle.

imagejpg2_zps4a9eb5a5.jpg

I'm a bit narked I cocked up the size a bit but my stitching is getting better and faster.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Copying the originals from York it is a separate piece on this sort. I prefer the extension on the sole sort

if I do another pair I'd like to try doing the uppers from thicker stuff, 2 mm at least as I think my stitching is up to doing a seam at the side with the stitches through the edges.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE