Turkey - the place not the dinner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Dear fellow bush-crafters, I thought I'd write to let you know about my recent month in Turkey. I'll do it in parts as I can bore on about it. This is about how it all came about, and the value of being ready to try the seemingly impossible.

Ages ago some lovely person posted a link on this forum to a project that was supporting people to spend a month in Turkey learning a traditional craft. I hummed and ha'd but basically didn't apply. I thought I wouldn't get in, I thought I was under qualified, I thought I was too old, I thought I was too unfit, in general I thought I was just the sort of person who didn't do this kind of thing. I was feeling a bit under confident, a bit down, a bit too migraine-ridden and a bit too flumpy (technical term there).

So I just carried on as normal through the spring and summer, doing bushcraft things, chilling out, camping, working. Getting ready to go back to college in September, sorting books, finding accommodation, everyday stuff.

Come the end of August, a couple of weeks before my new 2 year full time course in Cheshire was due to begin, a call from the college told me they had under-recruited and the course wouldn't run. I was gutted.

Then, a little whispering voice said 'maybe you could go to Turkey instead!' No. Not me, surely not. Then I thought about the blog post I wrote on here a while ago about failure and the difference between how the US views failure culturally and how the UK does.

A week later and I had got my application in, got my references in and been awarded a place as someone had just dropped out!

Weeeeeeeee. I was going to Turkey. Do I need a visa or injections for that? (Yes and no)

The following two weeks were spent on a dig in Northamptonshire so I didn't have time to worry or overthink it. I was just going to Turkey to learn a new craft or three!

Going to Turkey. For a month. Without my husband. With four total strangers. A month! In the inland Aegean region. I don't speak Turkish. I speak a tiny bit of Arabic and bits of French and Ancient Greek. A month.

Aaaarrrccggghhhhhh!

Tune in next time for the trip itself report...

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Oh no, I now know how to insert photos so here are some...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

More to come, don't want to bore you...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Lizz, I'm going to look forward to the coming installments with baited breath.
Your writting style is good and attitude to life better. Coupled with it being about a place I have fond memories of and where I had adventures I know it'll be good.
Flex your fingers and get typing, looking forward to your take on a great place, culture and people.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Hierapolis, but here's one of the library of Celsus at Ephesus! image.jpg and one of the smaller theatre, the odeon, at Ephesus image.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I visited Ephesus years ago... got a bus from Kusadasi, spent a day wandering around the place... I'd forgotten just how small that theatre was!

Remember the pillars as we walked down to the city and the main street running up to the library... amazing place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE