Tuna can oil lamp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Love it.....

I shall just have to light a tin of Tuna if only for the giggling and shaking of heads reaction......I'll be stuffing baked potatoes with the tuna afterwards. Now if anyone know a way to make light with a sachet of mayonaise .....!

Crowe

Nomad
Jan 18, 2008
Noewich. Now living in Limosin France
Hey, it works. I used to put a piece of rifle cleaning flannelette (4x2) into the puncture of rat pack sardines and use it as a lamp. Then you get to eat the sardines. Not sure which was better, the sardines or the lamp......
Crowe

Just tried it at home, much to SWIMBO's amusement. Used one of the lightweight little foil topped little tins I tend to carry. Burnt it for 4 hours before i blew it out, just needed the wick adjusted a couple of times. Loads of oil left for many more hours.
Not eaten it yet.
Nice idea, didn't smell fishy at all, even though I was expecting an Eskimo kudlik type experience.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
Just tried it at home, much to SWIMBO's amusement. Used one of the lightweight little foil topped little tins I tend to carry. Burnt it for 4 hours before i blew it out, just needed the wick adjusted a couple of times. Loads of oil left for many more hours.
Not eaten it yet.
Nice idea, didn't smell fishy at all, even though I was expecting an Eskimo kudlik type experience.

Glad to see it worked, and four hours plus for one tiny tin is pretty good. I like the idea of the trangia version, also. I hate electric lights, esp the LEDs, which always seem so flat and cold. Nothing like the warm flicker of a lantern, even if it's only candle strength.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE