Trousers (warmish)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
I have REAL trouble getting comfy trousers. I find most of the softshell trousers far too thin and cold to touch, jeans i don’t like for obvious reasons outside, and i’m not wanting to spend loads on fjallraven.
I actually wear jogging bottoms as they are warm and comfy, and if it’s wet il put on my waterproof trousers. Anyone any good alternatives to the jogging bottoms? I’ve also tried the fleece lined craghoppers, but they tend to pull inside and feel weird.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
Hi there, I work outside and the trousers I wear in winter for general tasks are dickies lined trousers for general wear. They are fairly robust and very warm and although you don't get wet in light rain they aren't exactly waterproof when walking through wet grass etc.
When I'm having to wade through brambles etc I wear percussion bush trousers. They are fantastic. Pretty warm almost like a moleskin material but they are waterproof from the knee down. They have a drawstring on the bottom to keep everything sealed.
Both trousers are about £40 but if you keep your eyes peeled then you can pick them up for as low as £30 a pair.
I hope that is off use to you.

Reactions: Nice65

DANTE10

Aug 9, 2017
Edinburgh
Hi there, I work outside and the trousers I wear in winter for general tasks are dickies lined trousers for general wear. They are fairly robust and very warm and although you don't get wet in light rain they aren't exactly waterproof when walking through wet grass etc.
When I'm having to wade through brambles etc I wear percussion bush trousers. They are fantastic. Pretty warm almost like a moleskin material but they are waterproof from the knee down. They have a drawstring on the bottom to keep everything sealed.
Both trousers are about £40 but if you keep your eyes peeled then you can pick them up for as low as £30 a pair.
I hope that is off use to you.
that’s great info! i find dickies and other work trousers a bit raw and cold to touch if that makes sense (despite their thickness) il check out the percussion’s

Reactions: mowerman

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I think you’re approaching the problem the wrong way. We have really variable temperature and humidity in the UK so I think it’s difficult to get one pair for every time of year. I mostly wear surplus combat trousers because they are cheap and hard wearing. The British issue MTP trousers are quite thin and good for warm weather. As the temp drops I use the windproof MTP trousers which are thicker and warmer. If it’s really cold I’ll layer under with long johns or over with thermal over trousers.

Reactions: Herman30

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Thermal running tights are good, flexible ... the lycra ones. They come in various warmths and prices - closer fitting than joggers and don't cost a lot. All the usual brands do them (Patagonia, Marmot, New Balance etc etc), and once you get your eye in for what you are looking for you can quickly find more economical alternatives. Get the three quarter length ones ... better for boots/socks and so forth.

Wear cheap polycottons or polys over them.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Moleskins??? Or, as said above, regular polycotton trousers that fit you comfortably, either ex Mod, craghoppers or some rohan bags, cheep off evil bay, and some decent wool thermals underneath (buy a couple of different thickness's and wear according to conditions).

Nov 13, 2018
Ireland
I was looking at work trousers in Lidl last month, and for an extra euro splashed out on the insulated ones (€12.99).
So far so good with them. Nice and cozy in this weather.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: tiger stacker
I just wear normal cargo trousers at work with a pair of womens 20 denier thickness tights (footless ) underneath and it is very warm and wind proof. Will keep me going this winter as nearly all my work takes me outside into the harbours here on the I sle of Man.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I would have thought layering is your answer. Legs generally don't get as cold as body and arms. So thin trousers from summer with various thickness long johns. I have a thin bit surprisingly warm Marmot capilene ones at the lightest thickness. I fell on ice once day and ripped the knee out but they're still OK for slightly cold days. Expensive compared to helly hansen though. For cold I own a 20+ year old pair of helly hansen long johns. They've got a horizontal series of almost ridges that run around your legs that must trap air too. It's thick too. So called expedition weight back then. I sweat in all but real cold. If even colder both long johns and trousers

IMHO microfibre or micropile or fleece lined trousers like craghoppers and rohan do aren't great They don't stretch and unless you find an articulated pair they don't allow good movement in them ime. Plus they aren't flexible in their use. Cooler weather only.

Layering is your answer. Build up a range of long johns to go under your favourite trousers. You could use soft shell trousers over them too for worse weather since soft shells can often cope with a bit of rain or snow better than normal hiking trousers. Basically a modular system. Plus you cab wear long johns under shorts too if you want.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I don’t like heavy trousers which most warm trousers are including fjallraven for me. So I also wear tracksuit bottoms like you or a pair of tropical combat trouser.

And old enough to wear good old Ron hill tracksters

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I bought a pair of Ron Hill treksters decades ago. Being tall I claim that started the hipster movement with the short, tight trousers. :)

Seriously though, as common as they were when I was a student they weren't great. I think the leg length to fit me (actually about 2-3" too short for my liking) resulted in a waist size that probably went up to high 40s", possibly wider. Sizing wasn't athletic, shall we say, in the longer leg lengths.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
If you have worn Ron hills you now have become part of a elite brigade of true outdoors people:):O_O:;)

Comfort was the main thing I am 6ft 1 and was thin but wore the XL sizes

smogz

Mar 3, 2013
Sweden
Maybe out of your budget but Klättermusen Gere is great for a bit colder weather. With a pair of long johns under I have been skiing in mine in -10 C.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
How warm are we talking here?

Decathlon selling skiing sallopettes for reasonable money and a decent fit. Far too warm for walking about over here though.

I use a mix of trousers, usually its its just a bimble then i have a few pairs by North Face, there a lightweight material and very quick drying + a good fit, pretty durable too and about £40 a pair. Cant seem to find them online anymore.

Craighoppers do good trousers for reasonable money, last me a few years usually before i replace them.

If i'm going out to work in the woods then i'll wear a pair of workwear trousers. Site brand at screwfix are decent enough. Costco had some dewalt pairs in last year that i found fit me better and the pockets are a bit better. Not nearly as well cut as the north face but very durable.

If its cold i'll put a put of thermals on my legs, sports direct do good ones for cheap;

https://www.sportsdirect.com/campri-thermal-tights-mens-402086?colcode=40208603

Those and the top that goes with them are the warmest and cheapest thermals i've ever used.

If its properly baltic and your stationary for any real length of time look into a pair of overtrousers. I think the special 6 trousers by buffalo are mega and they have full length zips down the side, toasty warm;

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/special-6-trousers/

Done well in Norway, and i use them in winter here now and then. There is issue softie trousers also for cheaper.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I wear normal combat type trousers all year round, when washed a lot they soften up - look for commercial equivalents that are stone washed if you want softer.

I wear long johns underneath when it’s colder and if stationary I have a pair of down filled over trousers I zip on (full length zips on each leg). And if it’s lashing it down my goretex trousers go over the top of whatever I am wearing.

Gaiters are handy to have as they waterproof your lower legs if in long wet grass etc.

I prefer to be slightly cool than to warm tbh

malcolm88

Nov 23, 2021
Norfolk

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Problem with Cheap keks is the fit also tends to be cheap..
You know cheap when you squat and the thighs cut off the blood to your lower limbs. That or they have no waist taper and have to rely solely on a belt to keep them up.

Its all down to the cut. Cheap tends to look and feel like they were cut out of two seamless flat bits of material, kinda like a pair of action man pants lol.

I have tried the lined Craghoppers and they were good but not the best cut. Warm mind and comfortable.

The Montane Supper Terra are stunning keks. Really are, hard wearing, comfy loads of pockets and adjustment options. Material is brilliant and they feel sturdy and comfy. Cut is also brilliant, so much so I could still round kick in them :rolleyes3:
Downside is the price.. Although dont rule out second hand, just need to be on the ball with searching for them. If I needed to replace them I would save up and pay again.

Rab vapour rise guide pants. These are great pants but they are much lighter wear wise than the others above. Great fit, loads of adjustment, great cut and incredibly light and warm. But they do not feel like they would stand up to much of a woods bashing. Never the less brilliant keks for the hills and less for the work-party like woods trips.

5.11 Stryke I bought a pair off of our good friends over at Heinnie.com and they are great pants. Material is brilliant cut and fit are also as good at the above. Elasticated in all the right places and they also seem to repel dirt. Only downside I would say is that they are pretty heavy so more the colder months. Also the material does not like fire at all. The fire decided to spit an ember one weekend which landed in my lap and immediately put a hole straight through them :doh:

The cheap couple of pairs I tried were from the likes of screw-fix and were just flat-cut. Nasty things to wear for any long period of time especially whilst active. Also "Cheap" is still £25+ and I would easily trade several pairs of these type with a single pair of the above..

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Like others said, layering.
Here´s what I use:
These and briefs when it´s warm outside

When it gets down to -5C it´s those same woodland fieldpants +

When it´s getting down to -15C same woodland fieldpants +

An alternetive for below -15 is briefs and same woodland fieldpants +british softie trousers on top. Softie trousers are very well insulated.

Reactions: billycoen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE