Polycotton combat trousers advise desired

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi,

I'm looking at the various cheap polycotton combat trousers options, british lightweight and M-65 mainly. I cannot see them "in the flesh" so would like to get some advise if possible.

Some reference points and preferences:
- I own a Fjallraven Greenland Jeans and have owned a Forester. I like the fabric but did not like the Forester cut too much (a bit baggy - I could do with it but not for the price).
- I have owned Craghoppers Kiwis and really disliked both the cut and the fabric (noisy, stuffy).
- I like high waist but would like to avoid an overly baggy cut and military look (I would probably dye them in dark brown)
- I don't use leg pockets much and would happily do without for a more civil look

The options I saw are:
a/ British Army lighweight (http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/732) apparently some come without leg pocket, some with one
b/ M65 Combat trousers (http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/3)
c/ Austrian ripstop: http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/801
d/ Combat. Ref 901S. 6-Pocket. B.D.U Style. Sand. frm Endicott and stated as fitted rather than baggy but also described as "semi-decent quality", whatever this means: http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=2265
e/ Com-Pant. Multi-Pkt. 'Rip-Stop'. Poly/Cotton. O/G. from Endicott (http://www.endicotts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=77&products_id=2398)

It would be great if you could comment on the differences between some of those models or even suggest other alternatives.

Cheers
P.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
One possible option is regatta polycotton comabat style trousers. The material is softer than craghoppers imho and becomes even softer with wear. Cheap too but not the toughest.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I've always been a big fan of the M65 trousers, I much prefer them to the UK lightwieghts.
I had a pair of the new style combats, but despite being rip stop, tore them open. plus I didn't like the velcro on the pockets and found the ankle pockets pretty useless.
I now use the 5.11 TDU trousers. Bit more expensive, but worth the extra money (in my opinion)

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
'E' looks a plausable copy of 5.11 taclite pants. I have the originals- they are legendary. Dont know about the qualioty of the copy, but if half decent, its worth it. The originals can be got in various colours for just over £30 if you know where to look.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Thanks for those reactions.

Graham,
how are the M65 better or different than Britsh Lightweight? Cut, fabric?
And how are the 5.11 better than the M65?

Lord Poncho, Bilgerat,
what are good places to look for good price on 5.11? On Military_1st I don't see taclite trousers below £40.99

Cheers
P.

Last edited:

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Yeah, Helikon is too tactical for me indeed. I'm willing to trade off some look for dirt cheap (e.g. M65) but not for normal retail prices.

I will probably give a try at those 5.11 taclite from Body Armour for £35 (and no need to dye them - tundra color seems fine).

I would still be interested if someone has comments on the compared fit between M65, british lightweight and 5.11 taclite.

Cheers
P.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Another vote for 5.11 Taclite Pro, I have several pairs. Being poly-cotton they dry very quickly and I like the torch and phone pockets which are additional to the main cargo pockets.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Yeah, Helikon is too tactical for me indeed. I'm willing to trade off some look for dirt cheap (e.g. M65) but not for normal retail prices.

I will probably give a try at those 5.11 taclite from Body Armour for £35 (and no need to dye them - tundra color seems fine).

I would still be interested if someone has comments on the compared fit between M65, british lightweight and 5.11 taclite.

Cheers
P.

I found the BA Lightweights quite close fitting, and lacking in useable pockets. the thigh pocket is flat and uncomfortable when loaded.
The M65s are a bit more baggy, have double seat and knees, and have buttons on all the pockets and the fly, meaning they are repairable in the field with a basic sewing kit, plus they come in lots of colours.
the 5.11s are between the two in fit, I don't have the taclite ones, but I have a couple of pairs of the canvas ones.
They are the least military looking ones, I like the tundra colour. cargo pockets are a little small though.
I love the slash rear pockets, great design, and the corners of the pockets are reinforced for knife clips, which is a nice touch.

Trouser wise I wear mainly 5.11 now, either TDU or tactical trousers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE