Tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have a manfrotto one... for rock solid photos you usually need to get a heavy tripod or hang something from your tripod.

Fortunately most of the heavy construction tripods are considered bottom or middle of the line and are a bit cheaper.

I would focus on the head rather than the 3 feet... a good ball head is a good choice, maybe check features like a spirit level.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I picked up a slik 88 from the charity shop last week for £15 and then had to buy the quick release post for £10, but at a total £25 a very strong reliable tripod. I had a lightweight £30 tripod from argos and it was no good in the field.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Another vote for Manfrotto's

I have three for different sizes depending how far I've got to lug them.

As Squidders says, weighing them down with your bag or a net full of rocks is a good way to get extra stability from a light pod.

Spirit levels are very useful but if the head doesn't have one you can get ones that fit into the camera hotshoe.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a huge heavy Giotto's tripod which is fine in the car but not much good when out and about. For this I have a small Manfrotto with integral ball and socket head and it does the trick very well.

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Another one for Manfrotto.
I've been using a Manfrotto 055 with a 056 3D camera head for many years. It's been doing a superb job.
I've been wanting to get a ball head for a long time, though.

/ Karl

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I use a ball head for my large format work but I can't get on with them with digital.

Although they do allow you to turn the camera vertical they restrict the range of movement too much for my liking which generally results in having to adjust the legs to get the position I need.

Just my preference though, lots of people get on fine with them.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I was thinking about getting a monopod / trekking pole combination and a Joby Gorrila Pod SLR for my camera. I'll be able to get the camera level enough by eye and apparently it has some image levelling software in built. I can't say how good it is though becuase its been taken off me until xmas day.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I've been through umpteen. The most recent was a Benbo Trekker which is good once up, but a PITA to get there. I've given up on them now and find I get good results with the camera just rested on my bag. You lose some flexibility of course, but it's my preference and worth persevering with.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Manfrotto tripod with seperate stills and video heads and a monopod for when I only want to make one hole in the mud!

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I did actually submit a request to alpkit for a camera thread mod for their walking poles but they blew me out... i'm sure there's a market for them though.

I got a manfrotto monopod too so I can keep the same mount plate and a tilt head for portrait shots using it. It's well made enough that I can use it as a walking pole... alpkits loss.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I use Manfrotto but from a different perspective.

It's for my birding scope.At present it's a carbon fibre which allows me to be able to go a walk with it.

When I had the heavier metal version it was great but not for walking any distance.But for photography excellent.

Build quality excellent too and I reckon they're great vfm.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE