Tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

I was looking for some stuff to use in a project that I have been thinking about earlier today and came across this and thought that people may be interested.

I am curious as to whether anyone has used or even seen one of these before, it doesn't seem to be a bad size so it could be adapted for bigger trips and meets quite well.

Reactions: British Red

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
Looks practical and sturdy. If your allowed to use sticks laying around and start a fire on the ground all you really need is the grill net with the chain. The rest is just 10 minutes of bushcrafting.
732770.jpg

leon-1

That's fair Tanto, but a lot of places here in the UK don't allow open fires and they will not allow you to cut much, because this is classed as a barbecue you can get away with a lot.

The fact that the ember tray is so far of the ground is a big bonus in many eyes and at 1.5 meters in height for the tripod itself it means there is a lot of room for manouvre.

For a start I can make the legs into 3 sections, so the height can be adjusted to a meter if needed and as such make it man portable (I don't drive).

This would be a very eco-friendly system for 2 people to use manpacked if you could modify it for purpose and this is one of the reasons that I posted to see if anyone had seen or used one.

I am not looking at it as an item "as is", I am looking at its potential for use within the borders of the UK and what modifications would make it more friendly to those practiceing bushcraft here or anywhere where restrictions apply.

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
the legs on the ember box seem reasonably high so you could start by shortening them and the tripod legs to bring it down in height and weight or you could do away with e/box legs and make 4 in situ out of any fallen branches or split a log in 4 and use them as legs, just a couple of thoughts

leon-1

Thanks running bare, that's a reasonable thought.

I have enough tools that would make this a very easy option as long as I can get the mental picture of the idea square in my head. I am happy that you have the height on the legs as it gives me leeway to make stubbies (legs that are short and detatchable) so that the ember tray does not come into contact with the ground.

I have a rivet gun here that allows me to place threaded rivets into a drill hole and as such any corresponding thread can fit. I also have tap and die sets at my disposal (I am a lucky man in some ways) so I can thread bits of metal bar when needed and likewise thread any relevant holes if it hasn't already got a threaded rivet in it.

I am also lucky that I don't really forget a great deal (which is also a bit of a pain as I end up with commitments that others forget about, so those out there that I said that I was writing a bit to do with shooting I haven't forgotten) hence I have remebered things to do with shrink fitting different metals from when I was in school.

What I have in mind is this in three sectional poles, with the ember tray just high enough off the ground not to sterilise it, not carrying any more chain than is required and having a smal repair kit.

As I said before it would be nice to meet someone who has one, they could tell me if I am talking complete rubbish in as much as what I could do with it as its design and materials could make a big difference.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Cheers mate - have a rep point (again) - worth it for the tripod and grill alone!

Red (just spent more money that should go on my new digicam)

leon-1

Thanks BR, If I get one I'll let people know how I have modded it as I have a tendency to take pictures of projects that I am working on so that others can see how easy it is :).

Running Bare, once again a very fair point, dispatch the legs totally could be a good idea, if I get one I'll let you know how it goes.:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Leon,

Hmmm, yes, I used to do that :(

Note to self ...cameras do not survive a 4' drop to a York stone flag :eek:

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE