Tripod net seat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
Hi all,I thought I would share my latest creation with you,the idea of this tripod seat is not new but instead of using canvas for the seat I knitted a net .The idea being that you can just put the net in a small stuff bag then when you set up camp all you have to do is cut some Hazel sticks and erect your chair .
For those of you like me that do a bit of net making the mesh size I used was 2" and the net dimention for a standard chair is 16 wide by 26 long, you start in the same way as you would for a purse net with clove hitches around the ring.
This could be a cool project to do for the bushmoot.Click on thumbnail for slideshow.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
The tripod was shown with instructions on the bushcraft and survival website by Jason Ingermels. Also shows how to make a table with benches. Nice touch adding the net seat and like you say, packs down real small

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
John that is such a neat idea :D........and the ring to hold the whole thing just works :approve:

I liked Cobweb's chairs at the moot last year, but I had real problems keeping the hessian sacks dry.......not an issue with the netting :cool:

Thanks for posting :D

cheers,
M

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I like the idea of a net & happen to have several sections of the right size in my 'resources' box, so will give this a go. I have a feeling that this would work really well for me & stop me spending too much time in my hammock when I am out in the woods. I like the idea of it fitting into a small stuff sack.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
KNYPH who started this thread is a Ropeworker and his workmanship is stunningly good :D

I've done a bit one way and another, mostly related to the traditional boats that are built in Galgael, and when I see John's work it's just absolutely fascinating.

He splices steel into bangles, and I know there are two ends securely finished within the coil, but for the life of me I can't find them.
His ropework is just so sound; you know when you meet someone who can actually see where the ropes are going to lie, how they need just that little extra encouragement to fit just so ? Des Pawson's like that, so's John :approve:

I reckon listening in to John, Seagull (Lawrie) and Des for a day would be the ultimate ropeworkers day out :D I'd feed and 'water' them for that one :D

Have a look at some of the needle hitching on this page too

http://www.knyph.co.uk/ropework.html

That net for the chair seat is such a classic. So simple but until someone shows you how.......
Cobweb said that she saw the seat on the youtube early on, but she used a sack for hers. Guess we're having a netmaking at the Moot :D

cheers,
Toddy

K.NYPH

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2009
Leicestershire
it would be just my luck to sit on it and the whole thing would collapse lol

Looks great though in all seriousness

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave , Just be sure to use the correct size poles and the right type of wood Hazel is good due the the strong fibers but sycamore is not as it is too brittle.
Anyway thank you for your kind comments and as some one said ........Get Knitting or is it Netting?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE