Trip with the kids

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
The time is almost upon us where I get to take my boys out, have taken them out before but a very diluted trip. This year I have kitted out my eldest 2 with thier own basic starter kit, backpack,flint and steel, hobostove, mess tins, water bottle, hammock,army tarp, bedroll and knife.

Any my other kit do you think They may need. I have roll matts and basic camping stuff for them. 4 boys coming aged between 6-11

Hopefully going to get the long lines out and catch some supper but bacon grill at the ready, any other suggestions on entertainment would be welcomed, I intend to keep them busy.

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Good call, I have a decent one with me but the idea of this is to get the elder ones out more often and with their mates so defo needed. I make them wear a whistle in case they get lost in the woods

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Making traps of various kinds is always a winner. Also party poppers added to the traps can also be entertaining, just remember to discard the streamer bit.
Hours will be passed just poking a fire with a long stick. I also taught my nephew early on that everyone does their bit so firewood, camp craft and setup etc.

Then when they know the ropes and can be trusted a little more its knife/axe throwing and air-rifle shooting etc.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
How to find dry tinder in any weather, good, bad or indifferent. What to collect and how to dry-store extra. Get out of the wind. Food prep and open fire cooking (if you can have open fire.) Optimize the living conditions and that makes it easy to turn their attention to anything else.

Aug 4, 2013
Berkshire
I was about to suggest a game we play in the woods where a person stands with his back to the other(s) who is say 10m away. They then have to sneak up on the "sentry". Easy in a field, tough in woods. Teaches stealth skills useful for wildlife spotting etc.

But then I thought of a holiday we had last year when a load of kids 8-12 spent ages playing 40-40.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty_forty

Works along the same vibe as the stealth game and also useful, because at some point some/most of them will want to run around - and it will help them sleep.

Navek

Forager
May 25, 2015
South
When in the woods I find my son loves to make bow and arrows .. Nothing special .. Just a young ash shoot abit of string some hazel arrows and away we go lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE