Trip report for Kittila 2023

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Interesting that the European tradition is skis while the Americas used snowshoes.

There is also the regional differences between reindeer and dog sledding.

I have never learned to ski and am rather suspicious of them. Far too many images in my head of people returning from skiing holidays with broken limbs I suppose. I feel in control of snowshoes.

Conversely, I would love to try dog sledding some time, possibly because I have owned dogs and feel I have at least some understanding of them. Not sure I would feel the same about a reindeer.
I spent 3 days dog sledding in 2008 near kittila - one of the most amazing things I have ever done.
3 things stuck in my mind
1. The quiet and the swish of the sled
2. The sled is moving faster than you think, so do t just step off the back (like I did) thinking it was at walking pace (was more like a flat out running pace!)
3. Watching one of the rear dogs trying to sh*t while running was both funny and weird.

It also seemed to me that the colder it was the harder than could run, and for longer.

I tried a reindeer pulled sled for an afternoon to - no thank you - felt less controlled and I found it much harder to steer and control the reindeer. Basically I just had to hold on and go where the reindeer wanted to go lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Wayland

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I'd been looking forward to your trip report knowing that, based on previous ones, I'd be in for a treat. It's an understatement to say that I wasn't disappointed.

Having now reached the age that my next major expedition is likely to be the one for which one needs no kit other than what I started with, I find the vicarious experience of trip reports invaluable. Some evoke memories of my own adventures and some, like this one, fill me with joy that there are people who make most of their time on earth and share their experiences with others. Thank you, Gary.

Reactions: TLM and Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I'd been looking forward to your trip report knowing that, based on previous ones, I'd be in for a treat. It's an understatement to say that I wasn't disappointed.

Having now reached the age that my next major expedition is likely to be the one for which one needs no kit other than what I started with, I find the vicarious experience of trip reports invaluable. Some evoke memories of my own adventures and some, like this one, fill me with joy that there are people who make most of their time on earth and share their experiences with others. Thank you, Gary.
I wonder when I might have to stop this kind of thing. Each trip takes a bit longer to recover from and this one has been longest.

I also wonder at the changes I am seeing in the Arctic. There seems to be wider temperature swings than you might expect, open water where you would expect ice. Things like that point to global changes and are worrying.

I’ll keep going as long as I can but feel no shame in taking shortcuts from time to time. Being able to call taxis in with a mobile app is incredibly liberating and opens possibilities for the future as well.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I’ll keep going as long as I can but feel no shame in taking shortcuts from time to time. Being able to call taxis in with a mobile app is incredibly liberating and opens possibilities for the future as well.
A proper use of all available resources. Or as John Fenna would say "Any fool can be uncomfortable".

Reactions: Wayland

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE