Trip report for Kittila 2023

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Kittila-Mugshot-I.jpg

I've just finished the trip report for our trip to Kittila this February.

I'm not going to try and post it all up on the forum because it's a nightmare keeping the picture links live so I'm linking you to the first page here: https://www.ice-raven.co.uk/html/2023-expedition---kittila.html

Hope you enjoy it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That was a good read :D
It sounds like an excellent trip, memories made, lots to think on, plans for the future .....

Thank you for sharing :cool:

M

Reactions: Wayland

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Next time hire a few reindeer with pulkkas to help with moving the equipment.
There might be a reason the locals have used skis and not snow shoes for some thousands of years.
It does look like you had a good trip, that is what really counts.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Next time hire a few reindeer with pulkkas to help with moving the equipment.
There might be a reason the locals have used skis and not snow shoes for some thousands of years.
It does look like you had a good trip, that is what really counts.
Interesting that the European tradition is skis while the Americas used snowshoes.

There is also the regional differences between reindeer and dog sledding.

I have never learned to ski and am rather suspicious of them. Far too many images in my head of people returning from skiing holidays with broken limbs I suppose. I feel in control of snowshoes.

Conversely, I would love to try dog sledding some time, possibly because I have owned dogs and feel I have at least some understanding of them. Not sure I would feel the same about a reindeer.

Reactions: MrEd

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have never learned to ski and am rather suspicious of them. Far too many images in my head of people returning from skiing holidays with broken limbs I suppose. I feel in control of snowshoes.
Cross country skiing and downhill are two very distinct events. CC skiing in deep snow and doing the same with snowshoes do not differ all that much. I have tried both, though much more with skis, and in level open country skis are better, in hilly areas and thick forest snow shoes tend to be easier.

Search "pulkka" or "ahkio" for old and tried solutions for moving a lot of things in snow. I admit that that your sliding plastic sheets pack better. I have seen in past a kind of origami ahkios that are made of sheet material.

In the last few years there has emerged a new type of ski "sliding snow shoe" that is a kind of cross between the two. I haven't tried them myself but people I know are fairly experienced trekkers say that they are not too bad.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I used a pulk on my first trip but it did not do well on the roads where the toboggans seem to fare much better.
That blue one looks a bit like the ones used by children to go down hill sides. Those designed for trekking look slightly different, look for "ahkio", you'll be easily able to recognize the ones for trekking. Some of those have changeable tracks. and often a more practical dragging arrangement.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That blue one looks a bit like the ones used by children to go down hill sides. Those designed for trekking look slightly different, look for "ahkio", you'll be easily able to recognize the ones for trekking. Some of those have changeable tracks. and often a more practical dragging arrangement.
It was made by a company called Snowsled and was supposed to be a lot heavier duty but because the runners were blown and hollow they wore through very quickly. I wasn't impressed.

The Toboggans, being flat, spread any wear much more evenly which for the mixed surfaces we move on is useful. They also roll up to fit in a standard travel bag which saves a lot of baggage costs.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The Toboggans, being flat, spread any wear much more evenly which for the mixed surfaces we move on is useful. They also roll up to fit in a standard travel bag which saves a lot of baggage costs.
True, the Finnish army once tested ahkio bottom material by loading 100kg of sand bags on one and then dragging it on a gravel road. Polypropylene lasted the longest, it took several klicks before 3mm wore through.

Army ahkios were just barely ok, the actual ones used by hunters several hundreds of years since were shaped something like miniature boats and they were quite good when used on ski tracks, followed easily and were partly self righting. That shape is still preferred if you find one somewhere. It is probably not very good on icy road surface but works very well in deep snow.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Would some version of the trolleys used by folks camping or at festivals be worth considering ?
It can't be beyond mortal wit to suss out how to fasten the wheels to a sledge for the road part ?
Like this kind of thing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE