Trip Out With The Boys - Pics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
The boys and i had day trip to our woods today, had a great time, decided we would have a fire today as well.

Youngest getting some fuel wood ready, using the two Oak branches like a brake and the power of a lever to snap the hazel rods down a bit

DSCN2873.jpg

DSCN2874.jpg

Eldest bringing in some fuel wood

DSCN2875.jpg

yep, that should do to begin with

DSCN2876.jpg

Perfect

DSCN2880.jpg

we wanted to make some charcoal today, or really i wanted to add another skill to the boys ever growing list of skills, so we took an old sweetie tin with us, of course being Valentines day it had be a Roses tin, youngest bringing over some seasoned hazel to saw up for the tin

DSCN2883.jpg

Tin full and ready to go

DSCN2885.jpg

put the lid on and on to the fire with it

DSCN2890.jpg

while the wood was cooking, we had a bit of a wander round, loads of Bluebells and Primroses coming up, the Wood spurge is already evident as well, back to the fire and the charcoal is cooking well

DSCN2899.jpg

I wanted to collect some green Ash for a couple of projects, all of the timber we took today came from a small stand of Ash that had been crushed by a fallen sweet chestnut and the bottom of the trunks on all of them were splintered and shattered, so no harm done by us, in fact it's probably helped the Ash as it will regrow from the now coppiced stump.

Youngest doing a bit of forestry, yes the saw is upside down as he could see the Ash was under compression from the top, so he is under cutting it, prior to making the severing cut on top

DSCN2901.jpg

walking back with some of the haul

DSCN2903.jpg

meanwhile, eldest has been keeping an eye on the charcoal, upon inspection we could see that no smoke was coming out of the hole in the lid, so we took it off the fire and sealed the hole with some wet earth and let it cool down

DSCN2908.jpg

time for a bit play - and why not, the boys being, well, the boys

DSCN2913.jpg

DSCN2914.jpg

after a rough and tumble, eldest set to splitting down some of the waste Ash, bits that were to knotty to be any use, these went on the fire

DSCN2915.jpg

DSCN2916.jpg

while he was doing this, i made a start on a new serving spoon, again from some the green Ash

DSCN2919.jpg

we then checked the tin, all was cold, so we removed the lid and hey presto - perfect charcoal

DSCN2928.jpg

We bought some of this home with us, the rest we left up the woods in a sealed container so we have a good source of easy light fuel and should we decide to, we can also use some of it in a water filter.

Boys having a play with some of the charcoal

DSCN2929.jpg

DSCN2941.jpg

shortly after this we tidied up the site and headed for home, tired, stinking of wood smoke but happy, all being well we are going back up there on Friday or Saturday for another fun filled day.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Great account and photos as ever Kepis , it's time like this i wish i had boys ! and not girls , which only one shows an interest , reminds me of all the knowledge i gained from my dad , lucky lads and dad !!

Thanks for sharing as usual .

Ivan...

( oh and sorry for not replying to your pm, you and the lads are welcome anytime )

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, thanks for the invite Ivan, we will take you up on that offer, proably in the sumer holidays though when eldest has a break from his exams and course work.

@johnboy - yep it's half term here - a break that eldest most deffo needs.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fantastic pics, thanks for sharing.

Lucky lads to have a Dad with such knowledge and a want to pass it down, and a lucky Dad for having some great sons that are interested in getting out.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Great Pictures Mark, looks like a great day out! :) Inspired to get the kids out now today myself,

Thanks for sharing

Rich

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers guys, appreciate the comments

@ cbr6fs - just a doing what my dad and granddad's did for me, all that time spent in the woods, up the hills, on the beach etc playing and really you were learning, it was just that you didnt realise it at the time, it is a nice feeling though to be able to pass what i have learnt on and know at least some of the old skills, will survive into the next generation and hopefully into the next one as well.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks like you all had a great time Kepis mate.
I see the sweet tin soon got emptied after Christmas.
That charcoal looks like a good tent warmer to me do you take orders. ha ha.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
certainly was a laugh Hugo, re the sweet tin, we have two or three left upstairs from Christmas that have not been opened yet, including a tin of Mingles, mmmmmm might have to go and grab those later.

How many sacks of Charcoal do you need then?:)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
cbr6fs - just a doing what my dad and granddad's did for me, all that time spent in the woods, up the hills, on the beach etc playing and really you were learning, it was just that you didnt realise it at the time, it is a nice feeling though to be able to pass what i have learnt on and know at least some of the old skills, will survive into the next generation and hopefully into the next one as well.

Sad thing is, there are very very few that don't.
A lot of folks blame the kids in reality though it's the parents that can't be bothered so they throw the kids in front of the TV/playstation etc.

Funny thing is though if the parents make the effort and the kids stop whinning for 5 mins then both sides really enjoy it outdoors.

goodjob

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers Sam, it's great fun as you get to re-live the fun of finding things out all over again

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Excellent as ever Kepis, This looks like good time had all round. I like the way you are teaching the kids new stuff to expand their knowledge. I also learned something too, think I will be making some charcoal soon. Thanks for this post.....

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Excellent as ever Kepis, This looks like good time had all round. I like the way you are teaching the kids new stuff to expand their knowledge. I also learned something too, think I will be making some charcoal soon. Thanks for this post.....

cheers mate, you know what i learnt something as well from this trip, always do, the boys tend have a different slant on things and often question why im doing something in a particular way and sometimes their way is better.

P

Passer

Great to see the next generation coming through....and enjoying themselves.

Well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE