Tried a few spoons...............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm having a lot of trouble with arthritic hands these days, but now the weather is a little milder, I've been taking the dog to the woods with a small axe, a cheapo sloyd and hook knife from Mora, along with my working knife and laplander.................I use what wood takes my fancy, and just take as long as it takes - here are the results of this past weeks work.

The long one at the back I thought I might need if the devil ever comes to supper! Best to be prepared, I think.........atb, macIMAG0196.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I really like the shape of the spoon third from the left and the theevil / spurtle to it's left. A porridge set made in heaven. That should keep Auld Nick away.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Thanks very much for the positive comments guys..........I should have known that one of the Scottish brethren would get the porridge connection - My neighbours think I'm bonkers 'cause I won't have metal anywhere near the oats!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thanks very much for the positive comments guys..........I should have known that one of the Scottish brethren would get the porridge connection - My neighbours think I'm bonkers 'cause I won't have metal anywhere near the oats!

There are a few weird supersticious ones like me left up here. I blame my Dad. Never stirring pots anticlockwise was another. Nice work though you've been very busy.

Bearded Bear

Mar 24, 2013
Brazil
There are a few weird supersticious ones like me left up here. I blame my Dad. Never stirring pots anticlockwise was another. Nice work though you've been very busy.

Only asking out of curiosity, but is there a "reason" for not stirring anticlockwise? I always like to get to know other peoples superstitions...
I tend to make this harsh questions to my granddad/grandmother when he comes with such things..:lmao:

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Only asking out of curiosity, but is there a "reason" for not stirring anticlockwise? I always like to get to know other peoples superstitions...
I tend to make this harsh questions to my granddad/grandmother when he comes with such things..:lmao:

"Widdershins" is the word for it.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Nice work there Macaroon.

But is looks like you might have got me and Goatboy vying for that spurtl.

"Widdershins" is the word for it.

It’s all a bit sinister this talk about stirring anticlockwise is bad luck I tell ya and it will summon up Auld Clootie and all that
"We’re all Doomed" "Doomed I tell ya" sorry off on one there.
Macaroon if he does show up just slap him wee that big spoon and chuck some salt in his eye.
Aye no metal Macaroon but salt or sugar?.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Salt if I eat it early morning, a wee bit of sugar on the rare occasion I fancy a bowlfull late in the day..............atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

The anticlockwise / Widdershins thing is purely about invoking evil. Though you're right to ask about reasons as many do have a reason behind them or a way of instilling common sense. One of his other ones which I've never heard outside our family was only rolling pastry away from you. You didn't roll the pin back and forward only in one direction. But in our house eggshells were always crushed up, salt never spilled, knives never crossed, cut holly or rowan... the list goes on and on. But we were simple country folk. LOL, making up out to sound like Ivor Cutlers "life in a Scotch sitting room."

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Ivor Cutler, eh? There's a blast from my mis-spent past! The number of times I stood and listened to him on stage, usually opening for someone else.............Certainly a man you wouldn't meet every day..........atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ivor Cutler, eh? There's a blast from my mis-spent past! The number of times I stood and listened to him on stage, usually opening for someone else.............Certainly a man you wouldn't meet every day..........atb mac

Did you get to stroke his Velvet donkey? Great performer just loved his stuff.

[video=youtube;WhuiwbjEPlQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhuiwbjEPlQ[/video]

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Great! That's made my day, listening to that...........Never stroked the velvet donkey, though...........thanks for posting that.........................atb mac

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Great! That's made my day, listening to that...........Never stroked the velvet donkey, though...........thanks for posting that.........................atb mac

There's loads on Youtube, listening now and chortling away to myself. Glad to bring some cheer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE