Tribe and Yak Wool tent.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
I missed the first part of Bruce Parry's Tribe episode last night. I only saw it from when he was looking at a black tent. The tent material was like a see-through mesh but the tent owner insisted that it was still waterproof. Was I just dreaming? Wouldn't that be a superb tent to try out? I assume it was made of Yak or Nak wool. Anybody else curious or know anymore?

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
I missed this I will have to get the DVD when it comes out. Sounds interesting.

Simon.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I just did a bit of Googling and found this site where there is a description and some drawing of the Blach Tents and description of how the fabric is made and that it does indeed allow the light through the loosely woven fabric. It swells when it rains, if the rain is persistant it does get in the tent, but when it stops raining, the water evaporate very quickly in the high altitude. A very well adapted dwelling. Well, I read bit more and perhaps not so well suited to the climate! And very heavy. Problably not what one wants in a tent for bushcraft.:(

http://www.case.edu/affil/tibet/booksAndPapers/Black%20Tent.htm

heeby

Jan 2, 2006
west yorkshire
:D i think the old guy was off his head on catterpillar fungus and other peoples whisky i cant see how it would be at all water proof
mark
disclaimer
i have been proven wrong on numerous occasions

sorry just read jojos post sounds feasible still not convinced not sure id want to live half way up a snowy mountain covered by a yakwool macrami tent

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Mmmm, best not to touch the sides on that tent eh?

I saw it and was fairly skeptical about the whole deal, I would have to see some proof of it.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Bruce Parry was probably right when he said the old guy was probably drunk ( he didn't use that word:rolleyes: ) with the wiskey and that why he did not notice the rain coming in:D Anyway I don't think it's going to catch on somehow...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE