Trench Grill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I saw a post on FB the other day singing the praises of a Purcell Trench Grill.

A great product I thought, but rather pricey, especially when customs and admin charges are added for importing it over here.

I liked the idea when I first saw them many moons ago but decided there must be a cheaper option.

Wandering around IKEA one day, as I often do because I use some of their products in my work, I spotted the LÄMPLIG Stainless steel trivet.

Trench-Grill-I.jpg

I had looked at them before but they used to be solid and very heavy.

What I noticed was that the price had dropped and when I picked one up I realised it was because they were now hollow and much lighter.

That put them right in the running.

I bought three and used one just as it was for static camps, it was a bit large for back packing. ( 430g )

Trench-Grill-II.jpg

The other two I cut through the cross bars.

One into two equal grills, 4 bars each. ( 214g )

The other one I cut into a light 3 bar grill ( 160g ) and a wider 5 bar grill ( 267g )

Trench-Grill-III.jpg

This gives me a selection of 5 grills I can now choose which to use, costing me the princely sum of £11.25 plus a few minutes with a hacksaw and a file to smooth any rough edges.

The reason the four bar one is so shiny is that I keep making new ones as I tend to give these out to friends when they see how useful they are.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You had the common sense to cut them up. Weight and convenience for certain.
They get left hanging in the trees in some of our wilderness camp sites.

• Sad
Reactions: Wayland

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Wayland: You see absolutely nothing from the road. The entire campsite is pristine clean after an annual 14 day big game hunting camp, maybe 25(?) people.

Walk through the campsite, all the way to the back. Turn around.
The fire pit grill racks are hidden on the backs of the trees.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Yes, that's true. We have a lot of elbow room. All the same, reservations of tent sites in our "primitive"
camp-grounds fill up very quickly

Seems here that big stone fire pits encourage very localized activity.
Best way to encourage people not to build camp fires, willy-nilly, all over the landscape.
If you can find a fire pit, a big one, probably a nice place to camp.
I need a serious place to cook. Coleman petrol stoves certainly have their place
but they are no match for hot coals. That's why those racks have such appeal to me.

The position of the fire pit may be related to mountainside and valley air flow during 24 hours
to keep any smoke out of tents, etc.

I can't go leaping about in the forest any more. I want to sit and watch nature roll by.
Maybe get lucky and feed the local camp thieves, the Whiskey-Jack birds. (Wis-Ked-i-a-jak)
Hope I got that right. Algonquin word.

Reactions: Wayland

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Maybe get lucky and feed the local camp thieves, the Whiskey-Jack birds. (Wis-Ked-i-a-jak)
Hope I got that right. Algonquin word.
Our local variant Sibirian Jay seems to act in similar ways. It always comes to check when you walk by and often comes to visit the camp. In some places they eat from your hand.

Sami recommend not to find the nest and not to shoot one.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE