Trekmates Expedition HAmmock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
C

Chuffstix

After looking and phoning around most places in kent that could be expected to stock hammocks I eventually found one hiding surrepticiously on the shelves of my local camping shop whilst looking for something else. I bought this Trekmates expedition hammock to sleep in up at the local long barrow over solstice. Ended up sleeping in the van as the local contingent of druids were beginning to do my head in. However I've have tried it out in the garden since and it is quite comfortable enough if a little narrow for me (approx 1m wide, 2.4m long).
The rope ring at each end seems very strong and the extra rope supplied is of similar quality and is long enough to set up over a span of about 15ft easily. Double layered too so a sleep mat or thermalite will slide inside easily enough.
Packs down to under half the size of my thermalite ultra into it's own stuff sack, haven't weighed it but it's negligable once in the rucksack on your back, and at £20 from Camping International in Medway Kent, I reckon it's a bargain, though I don't have an awful lot of experience with proper camping hammocks.
Anyone else use one of these? How do they compare to one of the more expensive brands?

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have one of these and I have to say if I am going lightweight its the one I take
As you say its compact and more width would be comfier however when I am counting the grams in it goes
I also take it on days out sometimes just for relaxing in
At the price its a great buy as a first hammock or as a secondary lightweight compact alternative of good quality

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I got one from go outdoorsfor £17, have'nt used it yet, in fact forgot i'd got it until i read this thread !, so thanks for the reminder.

cub88

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2008
worksop
i got a trekmates waterproof jacket the other week from tk maxx so if u like there stuff it might be worth keeping an eye out, not had the chance to use it yet but it packs down really small in its own stuff sack

p.s if you find any get them out and check them as i found a couple of them with broke zips etc.
cub

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I got the Trekmates Parachute Hammock for £12.99 from TKMaxx! Subdued grey colours and packs a lot smaller than my Hennesey Exped! Not bad for the money though.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
In my opinion the Expedition hammock is VERY poor quality. I had one that broke after a very short period. The last thing you need is to be scared it will give at any time (and IMHO, it will).

C

Chuffstix

In my opinion the Expedition hammock is VERY poor quality. I had one that broke after a very short period. The last thing you need is to be scared it will give at any time (and IMHO, it will).

Don't get me wrong, I know very little about the finer side of camping hammocks, but I thought that these things were made to pretty strict safety standards these days? I'd be surprised if a branded product like this wouldn't hold up to the specified weight.
So far mine's been ok with me sleeping in it (comfortable enough) and a few kids playing in it with no perceptible wearing at any seams...

Apr 26, 2010
London
I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd add my comments on the Trek Mates Expedition Hammock.

Took one out this weekend for its maiden voyage. Strung it up, got in and 3 of the strings snapped straight away. Now, I'm not saying I'm the lightest of people but surely this shouldn't happen? Maybe I got unlucky and ended up with a faulty one.

Apr 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I bought one of these a couple of months ago, hung it up in the garden for a trial night out under the stars, and the string snapped and I crashed to the ground. I am 14stone, which is within the weight limit I think.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Sorry to revive an old thread but Ive had one of these for a while but only just managed to get it up, seems to work okay with no snapped strings

seg1959

Forager
Feb 8, 2010
Surrey, UK
Sorry to revive an old thread but Ive had one of these for a while but only just managed to get it up, seems to work okay with no snapped strings

I can recommend the "tenth wonder" hammocks (for example, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5ad9cf70ec. I have been using one and I am 19 stone - so far no problems with reliability (but YMMV).

Disclaimer: No connection to the company - just a happy customer. They also make an XL model which is a bit longer.

seg

mitch66

Nomad
Mar 8, 2010
king's lynn norfolk
hi, your hammock look's fine have fun. my DD stiching came apart the second time i used it, 1st time was a sleep over very nice 2nd time i was using it at the norwich meet. sent it back to DD they could not fix it at that time, moving shop. it was 2 years old but after i first used it, i put it my best kit bag. it had just come apart it the stiching on two sides one at each end, on rips or shock loading or kid,s playing in it. i was offered a replacement for £20 that i now have, but i will use it before i put it with my good kit bag. hopefully for the first time this weekend at the norwich meet hope it get more use out of it than the last DD. 5"11 and 100kg so not at the top end of its rateing. all the best carl

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Resurrecting an old one here, but want to add my two penneth. I bought the trek mates expedition hammock and found it OK, not brilliant, as after a few nights it began tearing where the cord loops through. Wasn't crazy for the cord so I painstakingly swapped it all for para cord (well I had nearly 3km of cayote brown 550 at the time).
I then got hold of a dd camping hammock and found it far better, and after quite a few nights in it didn't need any mods. Highly recommend these especially for the money.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE