Trekking poles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Hi mate, my suggestion is to buy two of the best ones you can afford. I have a pair of Leki Makalu, with a built in shock system. Not the cheapest but with the added bennifit of taken major strain of your knees the shock system takes it away from your wrists. Happy days! I am not knocking lower budget ones, but having started with a cheap set for one weekend where they spent more time on my rucksack because they were uncomfortable to hold and use, the higher up the budget the better they are....

I will not hike without them now

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've used poles for years too.

I would definatly get a pair and as said the best you can afford.
Mine are Leki Makalu Titainium with no shock aborbtion (too old for that!)

Wouldn't be without them.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
Yesterday I got myself a set of Leki Makalu (without shockabsorption) and today I start on customizing them by shortening the segments for better transportability.
I sell Leki since 20 Years,construction, craftmanship and service are excellent!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm going to disagree here; I have both Leki and cheap Lidl's poles. Both HWMBLT and myself have each broken a Leki pole and at the price they cost, *not pleased* sort of sums it up.
I bought a set of Lidl's (well under a tenner for two) and not only are they comfortable to use, they're strong and lightweight too. I was impressed enough to buy another set as a keep in the car but found that my husband was using them instead. :rolleyes: and I had replaced the broken Leki ones :confused:

If your budget is tight, and you aren't sure that the poles are a good investment, don't be put off from buying a cheaper set because they haven't got a *name* on them.
I know the grocery stores ones aren't available all year round though, but worth keeping an eye open for them. If the *name* bothers you, repaint the poles, make them your name ;)

atb,
Toddy

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Lidl, Aldi etc is quite good value-for-money.
from the Leki range, I prefer the cheaper4 ones since I dont need too many extras like shockabsorption or slanted handles.
How did you break the Leki and where?

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I use and prefer a single hiking staff. The one I have is adjustable for height and has a nice cushioned handle. It folds up with shock cord in the center like a tent pole. It is a Tracks brand made in Seattle. WA, USA. It is taller than a double pole setup and makes a good tent pole for a small tarp or a Shires Tarptent.
Lots of choices out there, hope you find a comfortable setup.
I went for one for weight and ease of use. I like one hand free for compass and map and to ba able to swap from time to time. Cheers

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
oetzi said:
I broke mine louping over a burn (Beck, it was the Lake District) :eek: I *think* it went down between two rocks in the water and kind of crumpled as I slipped. Soaked to the skin and black and blue in -8 C :eek:
My husband broke one coming down the Cobbler, the adjuster part just gave up, the pole slid down to half it's size, he stumbled over it, the pole got forced closed and refused to budge. We'd already replaced both tip and basket on that pole.
He's just reminded me of a third Leki that got mangled, but this time it got caught in the hinge mechanism of a bus luggage compartment :rolleyes: Sheared off the tip :(

My point wasn't a complaint about Leki poles, just that sometimes value for money is a personal judgement thing.

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
dommyracer said:
Slightly OT, but someone on ebay is currently trying to rip me off for a Leki pole.

Have a look at this auction, looks very much like ots advertising a PAIR to me, what does everyone else reckon? (only one turned up in the post)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....80040572031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

Might have to take this one to Trading Standards....

"LEKI telescopic SUPER MAKALU CORETEC walking poles with triple spring anti-shock mechanism. Gold and charcoal in colour with cork handles and adjustable wrist strap. Length of 100cm upto 140cm. These would normally sell for 36 pounds. "

Certainly sounds plural to me, the underlines are mine.

atb,
Toddy

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
In mountain country, two poles save strain on the knees. A single pole is still handy as a 'third leg' crossing streams or boggy country.

These days I often take my cromach (like a shepherds crook) like these: http://www.caledoniansticks.co.uk/Full length crooks and walkers.htm

It's made of hazel with a horn handle. The end has a rubber ferrule. It looks a bit quaint but it is very practical as a stick and as a support for my telescope. It is also good when out with binoculars as you can hang the stick over your forearm, giving you two free hands to hold the binos with. The rubber ferrule is silent compared to the steel tipped trekking pole. It is too short to use as a rifle rest for standing shots but I have a pair of sticks for that.

Like Thoreau I have marked the lower end with a scale of inches, handy for various things. I understand some folk mark their stick with the safe wading depth of their Land Rover.

For purely mountain walking I would go with the trekking poles, but the old fashioned hazel crook has its merits too. :)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Oh, and I would agree with Toddy and Dommyracer - that picture and description, plus the fact that poles are commonly used in pairs, indicates that the auction is for a pair of poles. I think ebay have a dispute resolution process and I'm sure you could successfully argue it is significantly not as described.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I have a nice hazel staff too, brought home from a recent course.
It usually has a few hair bands on it to help with practicing me tracking.

I'm hoping to aquire a piece of horn or antler to made a top for it.

DarDar

Sep 27, 2006
Ireland
I would definitely go with a pair of poles. I have used both a pair and one in the past and the pair is much easier to use in terms of evenly working both arms and being more condusive to getting a good rhythm going.

I have a pair of carbonlite from alpkit.com but they don't do them at the moment as there is a shortage of carbon fibre at the price they want to pay. If they do come back i can thoroughly recommend them as really good poles.

If you can find some in aldi or lidl i would go for those to start with as poles are not to everybodies taste and they are pretty good. I've seen lots of scouts with them on the hills and seen them take a battering with no problems

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Four legs are better than two!
I bought two pole a while back and shared them with my wife (one each) it didn't work out. (I agree with with DarDar) It was better to either have both or none at all.

Twp poles certainly help me when descending. Helps stop me knees buckling :eek:

Poles also come into their own when crossing mountain streams and other obstacles.
Don't forget to adjust them to suit the terrain as you go.

Andy

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have a small staff (about 5ft) which i use, it is also my beating stick for shooting its got a big burl at the top end, i bought it at a show somewhere all it needs is a rubber tip on the end any ideas where i can pick one up
leon

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Last month (?) Trail Magazine (or TGO - can't remember which) did a test of cheap gear verses branded goods. They weren't too impressed with the tested breaking strain of the cheap poles.

Whatever you get though, remember they need maintaining and you shouldn't just chuck them in the back of the cupboard after a long wet walk. I borrowed some poles from a friend and found they had seized up (the poles, not the friend). After taking them apart I found the insides were caked in a lot of aluminium oxide. A build up of this powder can lead to slipping of the joints as it acts like a lubricant.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
Hey, you were lucky to be able to resurrect them. I had quite a few customers who had to throw their poles in the bin because of internal corrosion.
On selecting and maintaining a set of poles (Leki, that is):
IMHO the most occuring defect is having a pole getting stuck somewhere and bending the lower segment. Thats why its a good idea to fit the plastic plates, the tips are less expensive to replace.
Take them apart after walking in the wet and always store them disassembled.
Dont take the "ultralight ones". They have a reduced tube-diameter and flex way too much for an insignificant weightsaving.
With the old locking-mechanism, an increase in friction between thread and cone often prevents the locking of the cone. Clean the thread with a steel- or brass-brush till its shining again. Dont know about the new ones (ELS and SLS) yet.
Keep the bill, because defects in the clamp-mechanism are almost always covered from the warranty.
Even a bent segment was most times replaced for free, though I as a customer wouldnt even claim for it in this case.
The big negative in using a pair of Trekking-poles continously:
You reduce the ability to maintain the balance without their aid. i use mine only when I have to, like going down a steep hill or in very demanding terrain as an extra assistance.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE