Trees! How to go about learning them.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Best method is to start with one tree. Prefebly one right outside you house (not far from google and this forum), identify it. once your happy, move onto the next tree closest to your house.. and so on.

Dont bother to go into the woods and try to identfy all tree's for now.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Great advice so far, Winter Id, leaf, bark, buds, outline shape and colour from a distance and all during different seasons will help. Concentrate on the natives in natural(ish) environments.

Associate uses with trees, they tend to stick then. There are less than 30 natives, learn them first then think about the others.

If you can go for a walk with someone that's learnt over a few years you will rapidly speed up your knowledge on the day and have digested it by the end of the week.

Ive moved onto mushrooms now, by gum thats a tad harder. :)

Good luck.

woodymellor

Jul 14, 2010
London
Hello fellas,

I'm kind of in the same position, book on it's way, and I've been able to ID a couple of trees in my area with the use of internet and iPod aqpps etc.

Just wondering if you had any advice from a different approach - namely, what would be your suggestions for most useful trees to learn? I.e. a top 5 trees, say, according to usefulness in bushcraft.

From what I've read I'm thinking someting like Ash (firewood), Lime (cordage)...etc.

Thanks

Woody

Oh blimey, nearly forgot Birch!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE