Tree Seeds ID Help Please

Braidsta

Forager
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
500px.com
Afternoon all,

Just wondering (and tried myself but can't find the answer) what tree these feathery white seeds are that have been flying about?

Friday in Greenwich they're in my eyes, my hair, my cuppa tea - elm trees and sycamores around that I could see, plenty more I don't know.

Saturday in Thorpe Park near water surrounded by trees - willows, hazel, they're flying everywhere, my better half stops me jumping around trying to catch a handful.

What are they? It could be I'm talking about a seed from a decorative plant, but I've been reading up on trees a lot and to be honest it could be I just WANT it to be a tree so I get another piece of the puzzle. They did seem to be coming down from a height, so that also leads me to thinking it's a tree letting these fly.

Just curious really, thanks for any advice!

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Do you have a pic? Something like goat willow will produce downy white fluffy seeds and they are releasing them now.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Willows :)

We're surrounded by them. It's grey and goat willow that are casting most just now. The furry 'caterpillar' looking seed heads drop off in great handfuls too.

cheers,
M

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If you're in or around London there's every chance its London Plane... used to have a trio of them in front of where I worked, it was like off white snow on a bad day.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Willows :)

We're surrounded by them. It's grey and goat willow that are casting most just now. The furry 'caterpillar' looking seed heads drop off in great handfuls too.

cheers,
M

Pussy Willows as we cried them as bairns:eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE