Tree identification woes

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
Ive been happily going along with thinking my tree identification skills were not too bad.

Today i went off on an 8 mile round walk to a place where i knew there to be many a dead willow i could use for bowdrill sets. Sawed some pieces for hearths and drills to lengh and went home.

Soon as i split them, there was pith in it( not a massive pith) and the wood that looks perfect on the outside is in fact useless even after doing away with the pith.

Instead of just throwing it away i thought id learn to make a whistle, in my search for instructions i came across pictures of elder.

Now this elder thing looks remarkably like my willow lol

Can anyone help?

P.S The elder/ willow whistle works great

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
elder has quite gnarly bark even on the fairly small branches (not the last couple of years growth) it should be flowering soon, clusters of white flowers (which make a very lovely sparkling wine or refreshing cordial). The bark on willow is usually darker in colour the bark doesn't become gnarly untill the branche are a lot thicker compared to the elder. the flowers on a willow are commonly known as catkins and are different on male and female trees

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE