Book for tree/plant identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Sorry if this has come up before, I've not found a similar thread but perhaps I didn't use the right search terms.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pocket sized book about identifying UK natural resources?

Ideally I'm looking for something that covers common trees and useful common plants e.g. Birch, Spruce, Hawtorn, Wild Garlic, Dock, nettles etc. I have a few books and they cover a lot that I don't need to know about (not at the moment anyway), but I'd like something more concise for finding edibles, medicines, tinder, wood that is less prone to rotting, good for bow drills etc.

My best resource is currently becoming my own notes, which I expected, but all I'm doing is collating information from many sources and I'm only focused on tree identification and uses at the moment. I find that the more I'm learning the more I notice, but I'd love to find a book to help out with that.

fhaggis

Aug 8, 2016
scotland
i have been looking for something similar but no luck, got a few books but they just tell you the basics.

years ago as we where doing a walk during a Navigation the "quest" leader pulled out a small book and started to look at the wild flowers around him, there was an audible groan from everyone but then he started telling us the traditional medicinal uses, where there names came from from this book and i was fascinated, totally regret not taking a note of the book name.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
"Plants with a purpose" by Richard Mabey
The same author as the popular "food for free" book.

fa94c8e49e7966ceaf15e70e59154eb2.jpg

Is a guide to wild plants and their use.
It's a great book as you'd expect from such a celebrated author.

It contains info on medicinal plants, dye plants , scented plants, woods etc.
With illustrations and easy to understand language.

e4e36dd82973b24e984325e7e82d14e1.jpg

Hope it helps.

There are more, I shall have a good look on the bookcase and see if I can suggest more titles.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
This could be the little book that was mentioned by fhaggis ,in the previous post...
3a86cf1407bd39e34f9356779eeeb3e4.jpg
d16e1045dbfd50fb87506dedc21f6035.jpg

It's a brilliant little field guide, not just on herbs as the title says, it incorporates flowers , shrubs and trees.
Here is an example of a page on Scots pine
0995de42530f39126caf920bc084c85d.jpg

It has a comprehensive key system for classification but very simple once you get the hang of it...
01ebb9c66d6d14a42c0484b60c050afd.jpg
2b5e22bd2fba5f79e66ebe0ed528bfe0.jpg

It's probably the best book that I own on the subject...
Hope it's still in print.

Apologies for the quality of the pictures, smartphone not so smart... :)

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Ideally I'm looking for something that covers common trees and useful common plants e.g. Birch, Spruce, Hawtorn, Wild Garlic, Dock, nettles etc. I have a few books and they cover a lot that I don't need to know about (not at the moment anyway), but I'd like something more concise for finding edibles, medicines, tinder, wood that is less prone to rotting, good for bow drills etc...

Trouble with that is that most ID books concentrate solely on ID rather than uses.

Bushcraft books have a lot on the uses but are a lot lighter on the ID side of things than proper ID books.

That means you've got to do a lot of cross referencing.

Some good ID books are the Collins Gems series.

Foraging then River Cottage do a good selection, You also have the classic 'Food For Free' by Richard Mabey

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
These books , particularly the last one I posted, is a great field guide, but your notes in a journal will be invaluable and prove to be the best resource in time...
:)

Last edited:

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Looks like I'm going to have to do some book shopping soon, thanks for the suggestions! That's brilliant.

The wild herbs one looks fantastic, I wouldn't have considered that based on the title but the content looks like it's a must-have field guide

awarner

Nomad
Apr 14, 2012
Southampton, Hampshire
While I like the Collins books they seem to be full of questionable errors, picked up the pocket fungi guide the other day and they list Dryads Saddle and Chicken of the Woods as poisonous.
Had another herb book show a picture of blackthorn and state that its blueberry.
I've found even other guides tend to give either recipes or a general health benefits. I've not found a guide that just gives a simple how to collect and use a herb on its own.

Best advice I found was to learn the plants in your area and then cross reference them via the internet and books to see what you can do with them, that way it also help remembering them all

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think you're going to have to separate trees from plants to get definite idents. I don't know of a book that covers trees, plants, uses. I wish there was one.

garyc

Tenderfoot
May 4, 2016
Hampshire
Ordered Wild Herbs: A field Guide, Plants with a Purpose and River Cottage Hedgerows. I don't do edible fungi, heard far too many horror stories so I just avoid. Managed to get the Wild Herbs one for a penny (plus £2.80 delivery)... looking forward to their arrivals!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Good find on that penny sale bud, didnt even know if it was still available, it's an oldie...
Love giving those 2nd hand books a new home and lease of life! :)
Good choice on your purchase,
they're all good books...
But as was said before , your journal , specific on which task (ie.: Bow drill woods, cordage, etc) and relating your experiences in context , will be the best reference text after a while...

I forgot to mention a very popular (tiny giant of a book ) choice , the SAS survival book by Lofty Wiseman.
It's very specific on the Survival/Bushcraft theme , and easily fits in your pocket.
Ram packed with Bushcraft tips and tricks !
I know it's not a plant/tree ID but it's a beast of a book.
You might get a few funny looks if reading it on the tube , but who cares right?

There is also the "wild food" by the revered Roger Phillips , but that's more culinary, and it's A4 size.

Enjoy your reading.

Last edited:

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Hi,

Looking at picking up a copy of Food For Free and wondering if anyone knew whether it's worth getting one of the more recent editions or if it's basically unchanged since the original publication? (1972!)

Cheers

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
Hi,

Thought I'd try again with question above regarding differences between editions of Food For Free - anyone know?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
No fact but I would have thought it was updated with maybe some new info and or pictures, I haven't looked, what does it say about pages per version ?

Wiseman

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2014
Leeds
No fact but I would have thought it was updated with maybe some new info and or pictures, I haven't looked, what does it say about pages per version ?

Couldn't find any definitive information unfortunately. I've decided to bite the bullet (and ordered the cheapest one I could find :))

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Bringing this thread back from the grave here.

This seems to be a recurring subject that rears it's head the more I talk to people. In fact, i've heard it so many times now that I am seriously considering stepping up to the plate and creating a book that seems to have a reasonable amount of demand.

Initial thoughts are that it is going to need to be compact - something that would fit into a map pocket on a pair of trousers. I'd like to keep it sub-100 pages, no Latin or scientific jargon, floofy text or whimsical musings. My aim is to deliver concise, practical information that will lead to successful identification and offer advice on best uses. The book would be fairly robust and weatherproof, quite heavy on the colour photos. Essentially, a field guide.

Obviously, this is a vast subject. So this particular book would focus only on tree identification and practical uses. The question is, what specific content would you, the end user, most like to see from such a book?

Is this something that people would still be interested in if I were to invest my time and money into producing such a thing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE