Book for tree/plant identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Bringing this thread back from the grave here.

This seems to be a recurring subject that rears it's head the more I talk to people. In fact, i've heard it so many times now that I am seriously considering stepping up to the plate and creating a book that seems to have a reasonable amount of demand.

Initial thoughts are that it is going to need to be compact - something that would fit into a map pocket on a pair of trousers. I'd like to keep it sub-100 pages, no Latin or scientific jargon, floofy text or whimsical musings. My aim is to deliver concise, practical information that will lead to successful identification and offer advice on best uses. The book would be fairly robust and weatherproof, quite heavy on the colour photos. Essentially, a field guide.

Obviously, this is a vast subject. So this particular book would focus only on tree identification and practical uses. The question is, what specific content would you, the end user, most like to see from such a book?

Is this something that people would still be interested in if I were to invest my time and money into producing such a thing?

I do not believe there is much of a need for another 'British Tree' identification book TBH. Collins Complete Guide to British Trees would take some beating.

When it comes to plant identification, and especially when discussing plants with people from different parts of the country and other parts of the world, scientific names are vital IMO.

Reactions: TeeDee

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
I do not believe there is much of a need for another 'British Tree' identification book TBH. Collins Complete Guide to British Trees would take some beating.

When it comes to plant identification, and especially when discussing plants with people from different parts of the country and other parts of the world, scientific names are vital IMO.
At 821 pages, the Collins Complete Guide is surely a brilliant source of information. But it’s not exactly portable, this would be a field guide.

To be honest I’ve always called an oak an oak. Never felt the need to use any Latin and it’s never hindered me, but then again I’m out in the country and not in Kew Gardens

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
At 821 pages, the Collins Complete Guide is surely a brilliant source of information. But it’s not exactly portable, this would be a field guide.

To be honest I’ve always called an oak an oak. Never felt the need to use any Latin and it’s never hindered me, but then again I’m out in the country and not in Kew Gardens

Oh, which Oak are you referring to? Pendunculate, Sessile, Holm, or one of the many others?

Just pulling your leg :) - it's less of a concern with trees but with herbs I consider it vital to use the scientific name to ensure everyone is discussing the same plant especially if it is being recommended as an edible or for medical uses.

The Complete Guide (ISBN: 978-0-00-723685-5) is only 320 pages and covers all native and common naturalised species as well as ornamentals. It is a perfectly practical book to carry out on an identification field day IMO.

Here's the book description:

An essential guide to every species of tree found in the British Isles outside of arboretums

This easy-to-use guide covers the 360 species of tree that are found in Britain & Ireland. Each species is covered in detail with information on how to identify, whether from a leaf, twig, bark or whole tree, plus extra information on where the tree grows (including a map), how high they grow, what uses the tree is used for and its unique history.

Every species is also comprehensively illustrated with photographs of every useful feature – bark, leaf, seed, flower, twig and whole tree.

Reactions: Athos

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I find Latin names almost impossible to remember by heart but they really are useful. Yesterday I was trying to work out what species of sage I had in my garden, which is in the Salvia genus. Then it got me wondering about wood sage which grows in my local area, and how they are related. But wood sage is Teucrium scorodonias. I thought it was odd that it's in a different genus, at which point I realised it's a germander and not a sage.
There comes a point wheree scientific names do help in learning and categorising species.

Reactions: Broch

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Milk thistle is another example. Sometimes refers to Sonchus oleraceus, common sow thistle also called milk thistle or milk thistle, Silybum marianum which is a true thistle.

Reactions: Broch

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
Oh, which Oak are you referring to? Pendunculate, Sessile, Holm, or one of the many others?

Just pulling your leg :) - it's less of a concern with trees but with herbs I consider it vital to use the scientific name to ensure everyone is discussing the same plant especially if it is being recommended as an edible or for medical uses.

The Complete Guide (ISBN: 978-0-00-723685-5) is only 320 pages and covers all native and common naturalised species as well as ornamentals. It is a perfectly practical book to carry out on an identification field day IMO.

Here's the book description:

An essential guide to every species of tree found in the British Isles outside of arboretums

This easy-to-use guide covers the 360 species of tree that are found in Britain & Ireland. Each species is covered in detail with information on how to identify, whether from a leaf, twig, bark or whole tree, plus extra information on where the tree grows (including a map), how high they grow, what uses the tree is used for and its unique history.

Every species is also comprehensively illustrated with photographs of every useful feature – bark, leaf, seed, flower, twig and whole tree.
Thanks Broch, I’ll take a look at that. It sounds very comprehensive!

Totally agree when talking plants, but my focus is trees! I was hoping for a bit of input, but this is probably the wrong audience as I’m sure most on here have no problem identifying the most common trees and also know their best uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE